Salsa Chicken in the CrockpotPosted by Katie on Jan 8, 2010 in Chicken, Crock Pot, Main Dish, Mexican | 0 comments
If you are looking for a go-to Mexican style shredded chicken recipe this is the recipe for you!
This is one of the easiest and most flavor filled recipes. If you feel that there is too much sauce and not enough chicken just add a few more chicken breast. I know that their is always a little controversy when you talk about putting frozen food in a crock pot. I’ve made this recipe with frozen chicken breast and it turned out fine and we didn’t get sick!
This is great to use for chicken tacos, enchilada’s, burrito’s, soups, salads, or just serve the shredded chicken as is!!! I can’t wait to make this again, and highly recommend this to anyone who loves shredded flavorful chicken!!!
Adapted from Cosmic Cook’s blog
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Medium Salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can (reduced fat works too) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- Mix salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, and cream of chicken soup in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add chicken to the crock pot and mix sauce (make sure the sauce is covering the top of the chicken breast).
- Cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours).
- Remove chicken from crock pot. Place in a separate container and shred chicken with a fork. I kept the chicken in a separate container and added the sauce on top of the chicken once I was ready to serve. I had a lot of sauce leftover and didn't want to have all sauce and no chicken!
Serving Suggestions: The sky is the limit with this one!!! This particular night I served it by itself with white rice & black beans, and fried plantains.