I made this recipe a few years back and never made it again because it was too dang spicy. It was my first time ever cooking with chipotles in adobo sauce, and I knew nothing about them. I followed her recipe to a tee–and after everyone took one bite we all ended up dumping our plates in the trash. I was so disappointed and wanted nothing to do with it ever again. I recently decided that I wanted to try to make THIS recipe again. After trying this recipe again this will definitely be going into my menu rotation! The combination of sweet and savory and the crunchiness from the cashew’s was awesome! *For some reason I never took a picture of the finished product. I’m not sure why… that or I did and my camera ate the picture!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 onion finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 2 cups quick cooking brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken meat: tenders, boneless, skinless breasts or boneless, skinless thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning blend by McCormick)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tamari dark soy sauce, eyeball it
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 10 to 12 water chestnuts, whole
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons chipotle in adobo (2 peppers and their sauce), available in cans on the international foods aisle or substitute 1 1/2 tablespoons ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, a palm full
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey, 2 healthy drizzles
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup real maple syrup, eyeball it
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley leaves, your preference
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan, then the chicken. Season the chicken with grill seasoning. Brown the chicken on both sides, season with soy sauce then move off to one side of the pan.
- Add the remaining onions, garlic and peppers. Cook 2 to 3 minutes then add water chest nuts and green peas and mix vegetables and meat together.
- Add the chipotles and cumin. Toss to coat. Glaze the mixture with honey and maple syrup and turn off the heat. Add in the chopped cilantro or parsley and the cashew nuts.
- Serve cashew chicken over a bed of rice.