Insalata Caprese with Balsamic Reduction Sauce
I absolutely adore the Caprese salad, and even more so when it has a sweet balsamic reduction sauce on it! Such an easy salad to make whether it be for a quick and healthy lunch, a side accompaniment for dinner or a dish for a pot luck! One can never go wrong serving a Caprese salad!
- 1 package of fresh mozzarella
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- drizzle of EVOO
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1. In a small pot add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved. Then simmer until the mixture has thickened (about 10 minutes). As soon as it’s reduced by half transfer to a plastic storage container and place in the refrigerator for cooling. *Warning… it’s going to be a little on the stinky side, so if your make this balsamic reduction sauce for a dinner party… I suggest you make it at least one day before the event. I typically like to make double the amount so that I can have it on hand in the refrigerator. I would suggest it lasts about a month, but I’ve never kept it longer than that!
2. Cut the plum tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces horizontally. Make sure you disguard the stem piece of the tomato. Cut the fresh mozzarella (1/4 inch thick), and then place the mozzarella and tomatoes alternating on a plate.
3. Wash basil and place in between the pieces of mozzarella and tomatoes.
4. Salt and pepper to taste, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and balsamic reduction sauce over the salad.