Insalata Caprese with Balsamic Reduction Sauce
I absolutely adore the Caprese salad, and even more so when it has a sweet balsamic reduction sauce on it! Such an easy salad to make whether it be for a quick and healthy lunch, a side accompaniment for dinner or a dish for a pot luck! One can never go wrong serving a Caprese salad!
- 1 package of fresh mozzarella
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- drizzle of EVOO
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1. In a small pot add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved. Then simmer until the mixture has thickened (about 10 minutes). As soon as it’s reduced by half transfer to a plastic storage container and place in the refrigerator for cooling. *Warning… it’s going to be a little on the stinky side, so if your make this balsamic reduction sauce for a dinner party… I suggest you make it at least one day before the event. I typically like to make double the amount so that I can have it on hand in the refrigerator. I would suggest it lasts about a month, but I’ve never kept it longer than that!
2. Cut the plum tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces horizontally. Make sure you disguard the stem piece of the tomato. Cut the fresh mozzarella (1/4 inch thick), and then place the mozzarella and tomatoes alternating on a plate.
3. Wash basil and place in between the pieces of mozzarella and tomatoes.
4. Salt and pepper to taste, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and balsamic reduction sauce over the salad.
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74