Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- About a dozen corn tortilla chips, broken a bit
- Lime wedges, optional
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chipotle, chili powder, and salt and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Pull the saucepan from the heat and stir in the tomato, chicken, cilantro, and lime juice. Divide the tortilla chips among 4 warmed bowls, ladle the soup on top, and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Food Network’s note: Know-How: Get every last drop of juice from those little limes. Before halving, microwave them for a few seconds and roll them under the palm of your hand to release the juice from the pulp. Add a swirl of chile and homey tortillas to comforting chicken soup and you have a bold hug of a meal.
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74