Creamy Farfalle with Cremini, Spinach, and Walnuts
I have a coworker, Sarah, who makes this dish at least every other week. Every time she brings in the leftovers for lunch I tell myself I’m going to make t his, and then a week or two passes by and I tell myself this again–finally I added it into my weekly menu, and I’m so glad I did. I highly suggest you try this recipe. She modified Giada’s recipe, so I used Sarah’s modified version, and next time I think I’ll only use half of the marscapone the recipe calls for, and maybe even add in some extra veggies.
- 1 box farfalle pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 package of baby spinnach, chopped
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (If you don’t want it as creamy use a 1/2 cup)
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted (optional–we weren’t a fan of this next time I’ll use pine nuts)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped spinnach and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the farfalle. Stir in the mascarpone and nutmeg and toss until the cheese coats the pasta, adding the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten (If you dump your cooking liquid on accident like I did you can use hot water–works just as well). Stir in 1/2 cup of walnuts (optional). Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts. Serve.
Cooks note: You can add slices of grilled chicken breast or shrimp on top of the pasta to give it more volume for the carnivore’s in your life!
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74