Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings

While working on cleaning and organizing after the holidays my husband made me go through 3 massive stacks of cooking magazines that I had collected throughout the year. I can’t tell you how many magazines I browsed through, and then of course started tearing out recipes from! This just so happens to be one of the recipes I ripped out of a magazine!

Source: Family Circle, November 2010

• 1 pkg (1lb) frozen pearl onions
  • 1-1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 3/4 cup dry red wine
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 pkg gnocchi
    Directions:

1. In a large bowl, toss together steak, flour and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Place steak in slow cooker with carrots, mushroms, garlic, onions, broth, red wine and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

2. Remove lid and stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and dried thyme and the gnocchi. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until gnocchi is tender.

9 Responses to “Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings”

1. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy posted on January 14, 2011 at 3:56 am (#)

Love the gnocchi in this! Yum!

2. Dick posted on December 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm (#)

What happened to the dumplings?

• Katie replied on December 6th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hi, potato dumplings = gnocchi!

3. Alfred Lock posted on December 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm (#)

I wanted to print the recipe but their is no print box

• Katie replied on December 6th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This recipe hasn’t been converted yet. You’ll have to copy and paste and print the old-fashion way! Sorry!

4. ed rust posted on December 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm (#)

Umm, where are the potato dumplings? Is that what the gnocchi is supposed to be? thanks

• Katie replied on December 6th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hi Ed–yes the potato dumplings = gnocchi!

5. Linda posted on November 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm (#)

Is there a way to use real potatoes in this recipe ? Would they stay in the crockpot whole cooking time ?

• Katie replied on November 15th, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Hi Linda, if you use regular potatoes not gnocchi in the slow cooker I would be concerned that the potato would be mush by the end of the cooking time. I haven’t done a beef stew in the slow cooker with fresh potatoes in a long time so I can’t give you an accurate answer.