Ruskin Tomatoes

Last month I received a 10-gallon bucket of Ruskin Tomatoes from a friend of ours. She had went tomato picking in Ruskin, Florida. I had never heard of the city of Ruskin nor that it was known for it’s tomatoes. It felt like Christmas morning when I received the bucket of tomatoes. My mind was racing with recipe ideas, and the fact that my husband and I were probably going to turn into tomatoes if we ate 10 gallons worth started to scare me.
The first thing I did was sort through the tomatoes, and purge the already rotting tomatoes (that was about 10). I felt guilty to throw them away, but then I looked at all the tomatoes I had left and moved on with my guilt trip! I also gave about 15-20 to friends and family. Which ultimately left me with about half a buck full (maybe 5 gallons or so). I cooked up 3 new recipes that had never made it on to Katie’s Cucina and I’m excited to share these awesome recipes with my readers. I declare this week tomato week on Katie’s Cucina. I hope you’ll enjoy the new tomato recipes and share them with your family and friends.
Come share in the tomato love at the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange, hosted by Gimme Some Oven & Bake Your Day, sponsored this week byWhole Foods Market. Also visit Recipe for Change to learn more about how to support tomato farmers.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74

8 Responses to “Ruskin Tomatoes”

1. Lenore posted on July 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm (#)

Ruskin is a GREAT little town! It has a few super affordable and gorgeous beach resorts, plus mom and pop stores and restaurants. It has an awesome small town feel. I didn't know, though, that it is known for its tomatoes, either. Can't wait to see your upcoming recipes 🙂

2. Doug posted on February 21, 2013 at 3:55 am (#)

You don’t have to throw them away next time! If you smash the rotten or soft tomatoes and bury them, you’ll have dozens of sprouting tomato plants in a week or two. Sure beats paying $3 a pop for the at the local home improvement garden center!

• Katie replied on February 21st, 2013 at 8:15 am

Great to know Doug!

3. paul santowski posted on June 3, 2013 at 11:54 am (#)

are tomatoes grown wholesale organic? I’m a farmstand owner and I often buy ruskin tomatoes before our native crop arrives here in connecticut. This information would be very helpful.
    thank you.
    my EMAIL is: paulsantowski@outlook.com

• Katie replied on June 3rd, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hi Paul, Thanks for stopping by. I don’t have any information. You would have to contact Ruskin.

• Frances Perkins replied on October 22nd, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Katie, it’s ok to print my email. I’ve tried my best to find a source for Ruskin tomato seeds by mail order and have had no luck. The commercial operations won’t deal. The festival people never even bother to answer my anguished pleas. SO IF ANYONE OUT THERE EVER DOES FIND A PLACE FOR ONLINE MAIL ORDER SEEDS, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I’m a tomato fiend.

4. Marjorie Barreto-Neto posted on March 5, 2019 at 1:35 pm (#)

Just googled Ruskin Tomato seeds and found your request for seeds. I’m glad to see you got yours – though not in a packet! – but it doesn’t help my quest at all. My husband is 7th generation Floridian and was raised on Ruskin tomatoes. Having agreed to retire back in the UK with me he is getting desperate for what he considers to be the ultimate tomato. Would you consider selling me some seeds PLEASE? Even a squashed tomato in a water tight bag would do because I normally grow from previous crops. Along with paying for them maybe I could tempt you with seeds from 3 rare varieties of tomato that a horticulturalist specializing in tomatoes was kind enough to give me? Thanks Marjorie

• Katie replied on March 7th, 2019 at 8:29 pm

Hi Marjorie. Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, this blog post was written back in 2011. I do not have nor am I currently growing any ruskin tomatoes. Sorry!