Shrimp and Bay Scallops with Spicy Vodka Sauce

I’ve found my new favorite pasta dish. I’ve made this recipe 3 times since originally making this last month. It’s that good. Whether you add the seafood or not, the vodka sauce is to die for. This was my first time making vodka sauce. I know… gasp. I didn’t realize how easy it was until after I made it. I did alter the recipe a tad. I added some fresh herbs in the sauce and also on top of the pasta. I added a tablespoon of sugar. I like a sweeter sauce. I also didn’t add the full 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes like Paula suggest. You can always add heat but you can’t take it away. Because of that I always tend to add less and then once it’s done everyone can add more if they desire too. I ended up adding more and I think the 1/2 teaspoon would most likely be bearable, but I didn’t want to ruin a perfectly good meal. If you tend to not like spicy… add a little and work your way up. If you love seafood and you love pasta I promise your going to love this super simple dish. I can’t wait to serve this at a dinner party… it’s perfect dinner party food!

Adapted from: Paula Deen

salt and pepper
1/2 lb bay scallops
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb linguine
*Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water over medium heat, according to package directions.

2. While the pasta is cooking heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minutes). Add the vodka and turn the heat up to medium-high; cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the tomatoes, cream, pepper flakes, sugar, fresh basil, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the seafood and cook until just opaque, about 3 minutes.

3. Drain and transfer the pasta to the pot where the seafood vodka sauce is cooking. Mix in the sauce and toss to combine. Serve immediately; top with more fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

12 Responses to “Shrimp and Bay Scallops with Spicy Vodka Sauce”

1. ButterYum posted on September 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm (#)

Me likey the spicy! Poor Paula – she's was unfairly criticized recently by Mr. Uppity Pants. Won't be watching him any more!

2. Jessica posted on September 7, 2011 at 11:22 pm (#)

This sounds amazing Katie!! YUM!

3. Chic & Gorgeous Treats posted on September 8, 2011 at 2:32 am (#)

This sounds absolutely delish.. Thanks for sharing Katie. Cheers, Jo

4. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on September 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm (#)

This recipe looks so drool-worthy Katie. I must try it, now! :D

Hope you are having fun, vacationing :)

5. Culinary Adventures posted on September 12, 2011 at 3:09 am (#)

YUM!!! This will be on the menu for next week for sure! :0)

6. Sarah @ Just The Bee's Knees posted on October 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm (#)

We tried this last night and it was DELICIOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Dawn posted on January 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm (#)

My husband and I made this last night… Was excellent… Even our almost 3 year old loved it… It will be on our menu rotation for sure:))

• Katie replied on January 13th, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Dawn–that’s wonderful! This reminds me that I need to make this tasty dish again sometime soon! So easy yet “fancy”!

8. Emily posted on February 13, 2013 at 8:04 pm (#)

I have been searching for the perfect Valentine’s dinner to cook for my husband, and I think this is it! Our favorite Italian restaurant in Boston features a similar dish and was often the center of our early-relationship dates. Thank you for sharing this delicious sounding recipe!

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 7:31 am

Emily I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! It is so easy to make and tastes delicious!

1. Pingback: Week 9: Seafood Frenzy FridayCarrie’s Experimental Kitchen |