Salt-and-Pepper Shrimp with Snow Peas
I was reading my digital version of Everyday Food when this recipe caught my eye. It was featured as a recipe for one, but I knew with doing a little math I could easily adapt it to make more than just one serving. The night I made this I happened to invite my neighbor over for an impromptu dinner. I was hoping that this was going to be a winning recipe. I hit it spot on. This recipe is awesome, healthy, and full of flavor. Best of all it super simple to make and only requires a few ingredients! I made the mistake of putting the snow peas and onions in at the same time as the shrimp *as suggested in the magazine. My snow-peas and onions were mush by the time my shrimp were opaque. For crisp vegetables put them in the skillet during the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of cooking! The pepper is what gives a big kick to this meal. If you don’t want it as spicy don’t add the full amount of black pepper.
Adapted from: Everyday Food, Jan/Feb 2012
|Salt-and-Pepper Shrimp with Snow Peas||
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 6 scallions (white and light-green parts only), trimmed and cut into 2-inch peices
- 1 lb snow peas, trimmed
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- Cook basmati rice according to package.
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tsp five-spice powder. Mix well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over high. Add peanut oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger, toss for 15 seconds. Add shrimp and chicken broth; toss for 2-3 minutes until opaque. Add snow peas and scallions, and toss until shrimp are pink and snow peas are still crisp. Serve immediately over white rice.
*To add more to this meal serve with a ginger salad and a spring roll!
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74