Rosemary Parmesan Pizza Bread

My food blog friend in real life, Christine from Cook The Story, introduced me to this glorious bread. Christine and I met up with fellow food blog friends, Jaclyn from Food Plus Words and Maureen from Seafood Lady Orlando one evening early last fall for a girls night-in. We each brought a dish (or two) and shared a homemade potluck style dinner together over a few glasses of wine and many laughs.

This bread was honestly the star of the evening. Shhh don’t tell anyone, but I think between the four of us we consumed the entire loaf. It was spectacular times 10. Christine let out her secret… it was a store bought pizza dough baked in a cast iron skillet! I was intrigued, but saddened because I don’t own a cast iron skillet, and I sure as heck knew my mother would not lend me hers. A few weeks ago our local supermarket, Publix, had their fresh pizza dough buy one get one free. I did not hesitate to purchase the two balls of dough knowing that I would make calzones with one package of dough, and attempt Christine’s pizza bread with the other package.

I can successfully proclaim that you do not need a cast iron skillet to make pizza bread! I was delighted with how the bread turned out and the taste was just as good as I had remembered it. The key to this bread is making sure your dough is fresh. You can not let your store-bought fresh pizza dough sit longer than a day in the refrigerator. It will lose it’s “oomph” and will not rise. Also note, that the sky is the limit as to what you can season this dough with.

I’m so grateful that Christine shared her secret with us ladies that night. Make sure you stop by Christine’s blog, Cook The Story. She is posting about her variation of Pizza Bread today, too (and it’s the exact recipe I had a few months back that was to die for).

Published with permission by Christine of Cook The Story

Rosemary Parmesan Pizza Bread
Author: Katie Jasiewicz of Katie’s Cucina Inspired by Christine of Cook The Story
Prep time: 1 hour 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
Serves: 8
  • 1- 16oz bag of store bought pizza dough
  • Cooking Spray
  • 9-inch Round Pan
  • Pinch of Salt and Coarse Ground Pepper
  • Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 tsp dried rosemarry
  • 2 tbsp shredded parmesan
Instructions
  1. Remove the refrigerated store bought pizza dough from the bag and let rest for 1 hour; allowing it to rise.
  2. Once your dough has rose, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  3. Spray a round 9-inch pan with cooking spray (I use PAM).
  4. Place your dough into the 9-inch pan and begin lightly kneading the dough, so that the dough has filled all gaps within the 9-inch pan. Then sprinkle salt, coarse ground pepper, red pepper flakes, and dried rosemary on to the raw dough.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until almost golden brown. At the last 5 minutes add the shredded parmesan to the bread.
  6. Remove from the oven once golden brown and cut into wedges for serving.
Notes

*Store pizza bread in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven for a few minutes.
**My oven converts regular cooking temperatures to convection temperatures. I cooked this in my convection oven at 375. All ovens vary.

21 Responses to “Rosemary Parmesan Pizza Bread”

1. Christine (Cook the Story) posted on March 28, 2012 at 8:03 am (#)

This is FANTASTIC! Your pictures are beautiful and the recipe sounds amazing. I bet that little pinch of red pepper flakes gives it just that little umph! Can’t wait to try it :).

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thanks Christine & thank you ever so much for sharing your secrets that evening! Yes, the pinch of red pepper flakes gives a great kick of heat to the bread!

2. Blog is the New Black posted on March 28, 2012 at 8:04 am (#)

This looks absolutely incredible!

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks–now go make it & create other varieties! :)

3. Maureen C Berry posted on March 28, 2012 at 9:02 am (#)

Wow, first let me say, I’m honored to be mentioned, but more honored that you considered our evening last fall to be as much a success as I. That pizza bread was incredible, not to mention our thoughts, ideas and fun. I’ve been looking for a skillet that size since! (Although I guess I can use the 12″ one I have?). NOW, I see I don’t need one after all! Thanks to you. :) Although I still want a CIS. Your PB looks awesome BTW.

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Awe thanks Maureen. I’m so sad that you’ve moved away because I miss your company here in Florida!

4. Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) posted on March 28, 2012 at 10:15 am (#)

Pizza bread! How fun! I love rosemary and parm together too, I imagine it’d translate well to foccacia too!

5. Whatever DeeDee Wants posted on March 28, 2012 at 11:02 am (#)

This bread looks delicious!

6. Droolius posted on March 28, 2012 at 12:27 pm (#)

Love the sound of rosemary parm bread and loving your photos here! You have grown as a photographer since I met you last year at FBFOrl 2011. Great work!

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

WOW! I feel so honored for such kind words. That really means a lot to me coming from such an amazing food photographer, like you! p.s. this pizza bread is right up your alley; semi-homemade.

7. Cassie posted on March 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm (#)

Pizza bread? Oh my goodness, I’m in heaven!

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

YES! And it’s semi-homemade! Even better!

8. Noble Pig - Cathy posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm (#)

How awesome is this…I love the whole skillet idea…I have three cast irons and love them all.

9. Kim Bee posted on March 28, 2012 at 6:39 pm (#)

This looks so “I’m gonna eat every last bite and slap the hand of anyone who tries to snag a piece”. You are so lucky to have food bloggers close to you. I have no one nearby, it’s totally lonely here. I think I need to move.

• Katie replied on March 28th, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Yes, you are correct that is exactly what this pizza bread is like! I cannot imagine my life without food bloggers close by–I’m truly blessed. I agree, I think you need to move to a warmer climate!

10. Megan {Country Cleaver} posted on April 3, 2012 at 11:02 am (#)

There are no words to describe how bad I am lusting after this big old things of cheesy delicious carbs. Ahhh, yum!!

• Katie replied on April 3rd, 2012 at 11:18 am

Megan–march to the store and buy some store made dough and make it tonight! It’s worth it times 10!

11. Denise @ Creative Kitchen posted on April 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm (#)

Mmm pizza bread!! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!!

1. Pingback: Cook the Story » Blog Archive » Food Blog Forum Orlando And Then Some Pizza Bread

2. Pingback: Lunatic Loves These Links | Cravings of a Lunatic