Polenta & Roasted Vegetable Pie
|Polenta & Roasted Vegetable Pie||
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large broccoli stalk, sliced in long pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced in thick rings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup grated cheddar
- 4-1/2 oz fresh mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl add zucchini, pepper, broccoli, and onions and drizzle with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Place vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 10-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Once vegetables are cooked chop and transfer to a lightly oiled 10-inch square baking dish.
- Once vegetables are cooked, heat the 3 cups water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil (season with 1/2 teaspoon salt). Add polenta slowly, stirring constantly. Lower heat to low and cook (stirring continuously) for 5 minutes.
- Remove polenta from the heat and add the butter and cheddar cheese to the polenta. Mix well and then pour polenta cheesy mixture over the vegetables in the dish (spreading evenly). Lastly, add the slices of mozzarella on top along with salt, pepper and parsley flakes to taste. Bake until browned and bubbling; 25 minutes.
I found that the polenta needs to be well seasoned (seasonings listed per original recipe). The pie is not as juicy and flavorful the next day. Try to eat it all in one sitting!