Road Trip Part 3: Harland Sanders Cafe & Museum–Corbin, Kentucky

Yes, you read the title right. Harland Sanders Cafe & Museum as in the Colonel Sanders the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. As we made our way back to Florida (last Sunday) we stopped t the Kentucky Visitor’s Center and browsed the brochures. I spotted this little gem and immediately went to the customer service desk to find out where the “KFC Cafe & Museum” was and if it was on our way. It just so happened that we would be driving right through good ‘ol Corbin, Kentucky. It was about two and a half hours from the visitors center, and at that point it sounded like it would be a great late lunch destination. It was a few miles off the highway and well worth it to me. Why not stop at the first KFC–I don’t think I know anyone who has been here and I wanted to say I’ve been to the first ever KFC!

Half of the “cafe” was an every day KFC and the other half was the original cafe dining room! The photo above was the entry way into the dining room.

Statue of Colonel Sanders.

Cases of memorabilia including recipes, newspaper clippings, and original place settings.

This was the only recipe that was legible–the rest were pretty faded and hard to read.

My husband, Jon, made himself right at home with the Colonel.

We ate a late lunch/early dinner in the original dining room.

After lunch we walked around the original rooms and read about each room.

This is where all the magic happened!

Original kitchen tools.

The Colonel’s office!

Original cash register near one of the side doors.

Me in comfy clothes in front of the “cafe”!

If you ever happen to be passing through Corbin, Kentucky you should definitely stop by. Especially if you are a fan of Kentucky Fried Chicken and want to learn a little more about how the now popular fast food chain started. Don’t worry–you’ll feel right at home taking photos since everyone who walks in is snap happy!

9 Responses to “Road Trip Part 3: Harland Sanders Cafe & Museum–Corbin, Kentucky”

1. Kankana posted on April 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#)

WOW .. what fun! Thanks for sharing this. Now I wish to visit the museum too 🙂 Lost the cash register!

2. Kankana posted on April 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#)

oh god!! I meant love that cash register thingy..

3. amy @ fearless homemaker posted on April 10, 2012 at 9:06 am (#)

how fun! my husband would love this – we should definitely check it out sometime!

• Katie replied on April 10th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Yeah, if you live near by–why not! I wouldn’t say make it a family vacation to visit, but if you are near by why not–it’s kind of cool to learn the history! lol.

4. Dasha posted on April 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm (#)

Cute pictures!! 🙂

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thanks!

5. Jeff Brody posted on July 31, 2015 at 5:52 pm (#)

My wife and I stopped at this place back in 1988, when it was still a true restaurant serving family style meals, including fried chicken. The meal was great. … fried chicken, mashed potatoes, beans, cole slaw, biscuits … all the things that are part of a KFC meal, but so much better than the KFC version of it.

Since our visit, we moved to the Pacific Northwest. Now, 27 years later, we are planning a road trip and I thought about stopping by for another real fried chicken dinner. But when I saw they had closed the restaurant and replaced it with a franchise KFC, my heart sank. Sometimes I guess it’s better not to know the history …

• Katie replied on August 5th, 2015 at 7:26 am

Awe that’s a shame. I would have LOVED to try the real family style restaurant. I’m sure it was way better than the franchise version. Sad that they did–they took a little bit of the history from it.

1. Pingback: Dünyaca Ünlü Yiyecek Müzeleri - Yemek.com