{Salt & Lime} Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips

My husband is the chip man–the man can eat chips with every meal. Even if its a decadent pasta dinner he could still eat chips on the side. Me on the other hand I can resist traditional potato chips, but what I can’t resist is tortilla chips! I’m addicted to them and can eat a full bag in one sitting.

I admit it. I have no problem with that.

I have a tortilla chip problem.

After months of letting our mini deep fryer rot outside we finally decided to clean it up, and as soon as that puppy was cleaned I was already devising a deep frying plan! My husband was in shock when he saw me pouring oil into it because it literally had been maybe 5 minutes since being cleaned that I grabbed the deep fryer. Actually, I take that back. I don’t think he was in shock just a tad bit surprised. He is use to me making a “mess” as soon as something is cleaned. For instance like the kitchen–I will cook all day in it and he will clean it up (I know I have the best husband ever) and as soon as its clean I’ll get back in the kitchen to start cooking again. He knows it is inevitable!

Back to the chips… these chips are easy to make and chances are if you bought a massive bag of corn tortillas you can make these right now. Anyone can make these chips no matter if you’re a home cook or chef or just a person who aspires to cook. You will wow your family and friends with these chips.

I chose the salt and lime combo because I love Chipotles tortilla chips because of the salt and lime combo. These are super simple to make and to be honest you have no excuse not to make these chips!

{Salt & Lime} Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips
Author: Katie Jasiewicz of Katie’s Cucina
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 17 mins
Serves: 4
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • Vegetable Oil
  • 2 tbsp Salt
  • Zest from 1 Lime
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil until deep fryer indicates its hot.
  2. While deep fryer is preheating stack the 12 corn tortillas and using a sharp knife cut in half vertically and then half in diagonally giving you 4 quarters to your circle.
  3. In a small bowl add 2 tablespoons of salt and the zest of 1 lime; mix well and set to the side.
  4. Carefully place one of the four stacks of corn tortillas into the deep fryer; separating them as you place them in the deep fryer. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown but not burnt.
  5. Remove corn tortilla chips from deep fryer and lay in a single layer on a paper towel lined tray so that the oil can drain from the chips. Immediately sprinkle with salt/lime mixture.
  6. Repeat the 2 steps above until all of your chips are cooked, and enjoy!
Notes

*Make sure you lay each batch of tortilla chips in a single layer on paper towels and eat all of your chips in one sitting. They will taste and become stale if you keep them longer than one day.

Check out these great recipes for dipping chips!

Classic Roasted Salsa

Jalapeno Popper Dip

Homemade Salsa

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74

11 Responses to “{Salt & Lime} Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips”

1. Blog is the New Black posted on May 3, 2012 at 9:21 am (#)

So easy and this looks sooooo delicious!

2. Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) posted on May 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm (#)

I love making homemade tortilla chips! I think they are best paired with homemade salsa too πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on May 3rd, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I agree & with homemade guac which is coming tomorrow because I just recently realized that I’ve never blogged about my homemade guac!

3. michelle @ The Village Cook posted on May 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm (#)

Oooo YUM~ I love anything with lime! I’ll have to try this soon πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on May 3rd, 2012 at 4:17 pm

You will definitely be in love with these chips then. If you aren’t too big on salt do less salt and more lime!

4. Baking Serendipity posted on May 4, 2012 at 12:07 am (#)

We love tortilla chips at my house too! Lately I’ve been obsessed with a sweet potato tortilla chip from Trader Joe’s but I can definitely see these becoming the newest obsession. Perfect for summer with guacamole πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on May 4th, 2012 at 7:02 am

Gah! I wish I had a Trader Joe’s in Florida–I would be obsessed with sweet potato tortilla chips too! Luckily, I’m going to Atlanta in June and I know what else I’m adding to my Trader Joe’s list! Thanks for stopping by.

5. Denise @ Creative Kitchen posted on May 15, 2012 at 11:52 am (#)

Katie,

You’ve just given me another reason to buy a deep fryer…as if I needed one! LOL!! These chips look fantastic! I also love the lime flavor on them. I’ll be able to keep up with you a lot more now that I’ve gotten my iPad. My laptop was just too slow when I tried commenting on blogs. This thing is amazing!! I organized my google reader, but can’t find the RSS on your blog to subscribe. Do you have a feed I can subscribe too…I don’t do email subscriptions. Thanks!

• Katie replied on May 16th, 2012 at 7:10 am

Yes! Spend the $20 on a cheapy fry daddy–you won’t be disappointed. That’s what we have and I don’t ever regret spending the $20 although now that we do fry every now and then and are doing more elaborate fry’s I wish we had a nicer deep fryer.
      p.s. You can find my RSS feed linked to the “envelope” widget on the right column. You can subscribe by reader there. πŸ™‚

6. Tina Jui posted on August 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm (#)

Hi Katie – I’m late finding this post, but the recipe looks great. I might have to get a deep fryer just to make this! Just pinned it πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on September 3rd, 2013 at 2:59 pm

haha Tina. To be honest, you could do a baked version using corn tortillas. Sprinkle on the salt and lime at the end! Good luck either way!