Grilled Flatbread w/ Hot Italian Sausage, Peppers, & Caramelized OnionsPosted by Katie on Jun 6, 2012 in BBQ, entertaining, Grilling, Katie Original, Sausage, Vegetable | 14 comments
Y’all know that I’ve been into grilling lately–I can’t get enough of it. I was craving flatbreads the other week and picked up a package of Flatout Flatbread. I knew I could create some simple dinners utilizing leftovers and make them a bit more on the healthier side. I purposely made extra Grilled Sausage and Sweet Peppers knowing that I wanted to make a flatbread out of it.
Talk about an easy dinner after a crazy day at work–this is your magic ticket. I even entertained with this flatbread. Although, my first batch of flatbreads came out a little more on the crispier side since I wasn’t paying attenion to the time–and of course those are the ones I photographed. Pay no attention to that–these are quick and simple and can easily make 1 fabulous meal into 2 totally different and terrific tasting meals.
I mentioned that I entertained the evening I made the flatbreads. I have our neighbor over for dinner at least once a week and its almost always impromptu! On this night I fired up the grill, created a sumptuous flatbread and an even tastier salad with a homemade Italian vinaigrette *recipe soon to come. This is definitely one of those pantry meals–I used whatever veggies and meats I have leftover in the fridge. Although my salad was a little piece-mealed together it came out fantastic and I even had an avocado hiding out in the fridge that made our salad that much nicer. The sweet and spicy compliment each other in this flatbread and the cheese base of decadent Boursin garlic and herb soft cheese is tasted on each bite. Whether your entertaining or just looking for a simple dinner to make–give this recipe a try!
*I had to share this picture, too. I took this right after moving our flatbreads from where I was photographing to our little table in our outdoor living room where my neighbor and I ate dinner. This made for a great photo and I instantly had to snap a few shots to encompass how our impromptu dinners really look at my house!
Katie’s Cucina original recipe.
- 4 Flatout Flatbread
- 2 Grilled Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 12 grilled sweet bell peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Boursin Light Garlic & Herb Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a frying pan preheat olive oil, add thinly sliced onions to the pan and cook on medium heat. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer until the onions have started to caramelized and all the juice has been absorbed (this will take about 10-15 minutes). Place the onions to the side. Follow the same steps for the grape tomatoes except you'll want to sweat these out and place them over high heat.
- Slice grilled hot Italian sausages in 1/4 inch pieces, chopped sweet bell peppers, and tear the basil.
- Begin arranging the flatbreads by smearing 2 tablespoons of Boursin Light Garlic & Herb cheese then sprinkle 1 tablespoon mozzarella and parmesan (each). Place the sliced Italian sausage, peppers, caramelized onions, and grape tomatoes equally amongst the 4 flatbreads. Then sprinkle each flatbread with torn basil; followed by 1 tablespoon each of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place on grill for 5-7 minutes with lid on for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and flatbread is crisp not burnt.
*If your onions begin to burn during the caramelizing process lower the heat and add more broth.