No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Homemade granola bars have been all the rage on Pinterest lately. Since being on a granola kick I wanted to try my hand at the bars. I saw that my friend Lauren posted a recipe that had been adapted from Rachael Ray and I knew I wanted to give her version of the recipe a try! Plus, I had all the ingredients sitting in my pantry, so what was I too loose?
These are super easy to make–the tricky part is packing them tightly, so that they don’t fall apart. That’s where I didn’t do so well–they tasted great but at times would fall apart. When I made them a second time (not pictured) and packed them in tightly they were perfect. The first time I attempted to fill a square 8 x8 pan–don’t attempt that. The second go around I used the jelly roll pan and they turned out much better! Pack these babies in as tight as you possibly can and they will turn out perfect.
Adapted from Lauren’s Latest
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup rice krispy cereal
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Using a large bowl, stir oats and rice krispy cereal together. Set aside.
- Next, in a pot you'll want to melt the butter, honey and brown sugar together over medium-high heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir, and then pour over dry ingredients. Mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased small jelly roll pan (12x8x1) and press out to be about 3/4 inch in thickness. Top the granola bars with mini chocolate chips and press down lightly *remember your granola mixture is going to be warm so your chocolate chips might start to melt on top. Let the granola bars cool on a countertop to room temperature for about two hours or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.