Julia Child’s Favorite Cocktail… Angosoda

Angosoda

100 years ago today, Julia Child was born in Pasadena, California.

The iconic woman who turned Americans on to French cooking and most notably known for the famed dish, boeuf bourguignon, would have been 100 years old today. In celebration of Julia Child’s 100th birthday I introduce you to her favorite cocktail, Angosoda. A recipe featured in Julia Child and Company, her fifth published cookbook. I think this is the way that Julia Child would want her life to be celebrated–clinking glasses and enjoying a cocktail.

Angosoda

In the words of Julia Child “Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” and that is the case with this drink. Start with a tall glass, filled with ice cubes, and pour the Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water into the glass.

Angosoda

Next, add a dash of Angostura Bitters.

Stir, place a lime on the rim and drink up in honor of Julia Child!

I’d like to share with you a few of my favorite quotes from Julia Child that really sum up cooking and food altogether:

“The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.”
Julia Child

“If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.”
Julia Child

“Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.”
Julia Child

“You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces – just good food from fresh ingredients.”
Julia Child

“…no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”
Julia Child, My Life in France

Angosoda Cocktail

Prep Time: 1 minute

Total Time: 1 minute

Yield: 1 cocktail

• Ice cubes
  • 1 dash Angostura Bitters
  • 1 slice lime
  • 6 oz Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water

1. Place several ice cubes in a tall glass.
  2. Dash on a few drops of Angostura Bitters.
  3. Add a slice of lime. Fill with sparkling water.

Disclaimer: I was provided a sample of Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water and Angostura Bitters to recreate this classic cocktail. All opinions are always my own.

10 Responses to “Julia Child’s Favorite Cocktail… Angosoda”

1. Ali @ Gimme Some Oven posted on August 15, 2012 at 9:00 am (#)

This looks delish! Way to rock a drink, Julia!! :)

I love all of your quotes too. What a great gal to celebrate!!

• Katie replied on August 16th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Ali! I agree she definitely knew how to “party”!

2. carrian posted on August 15, 2012 at 10:53 am (#)

I’m loving all of these Julia Child tributes. Lovely photos and writing!

• Katie replied on August 16th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Carrian!

3. hui posted on August 15, 2012 at 11:40 am (#)

i enjoyed this post, the pics n esp the quotes ^^

• Katie replied on August 16th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I agree–I love Julia’s quotes!

4. kristy @ the wicked noodle posted on August 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm (#)

I love that you chose to honor Julia with a cocktail! Shows her fun side and I haven’t seen anyone else do that. Plus I always love a good cocktail! ;-)

5. amy @ fearless homemaker posted on August 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm (#)

This is totally my type of drink – looks so refreshing, simple, but sophisticated. YUM!

6. christine posted on August 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm (#)

I am linking over to this recipe from our facebook page for our What Would Julia Do feature on Wednesdays. Did want to quickly thank you for this. the photos are great!

:-)
    christine geiger

• Katie replied on August 30th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thank you for the feature & pointing out the error! All fixed!