{Announcement + Video} My First National Cooking Segment Debut!

Yesterday, I posted about my Carrot Cake Rice Krispies Treats and mentioned that I was going to be on The Daily Buzz morning show for National Rice Krispies Treat Day! This was my second time doing a cooking segment on tv in the past week although my first go last week hasn’t aired yet. Don’t worry I’ll let you know once it does! This time around it was “live-live” as in… no edits, no re-takes, just me, the co-host, and camera crew.

daily buzz cooking segment

If you’re not familiar with The Daily Buzz they are a nationally syndicated morning show in over 170+ TV markets across the nation. Yah, this was kind of big deal. The fact that my aunt from Los Angeles, California was able to watch me on national tv was a little mind blowing for me.

So after multiple emails, tweets, Facebook message request to see my segment… here is my first cooking segment on National television.

Now, I want to show you a few photos from behind the scenes… I always like to see what goes on back stage when the camera isn’t rolling. Please keep in mind that all of these photos were taken on my iPhone–I wasn’t about to schlep around my DSLR.

rice krispies supplies

I was asked to arrive at the studio at 5:45am. Keep in mind I had a days notice to get prepared (and I work a full time day job), so Monday night I frivolously worked to cook up a wide variety of Rice Krispies Treats. The worlds BIGGEST thank you to my husband who helped me cut and package rice krispies treats, clean endless dishes, and pack my car the night before. I could not have done this segment without his help! It was team work at our best.

daily buzz cooking segment

I arrived at the studio at 5:45 am and then rushed to get my display set up since the cast was going on-air at 6am and I knew I wouldn’t be able to make a lot of noise.

rice krispies treat spread on the daily buzz

I had a wide variety of Krispy Treats. Pictured left on the raised cake plate you’ll find cookies-n-cream rice krispies treats, followed by the original and a variety of toppings to place on the original Rice Krispy Treats. Pictured top right are Red Velvet Rice Krispies Treats, on the long platter in the middle you’ll find my Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats and my Mint Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies Treats. On the bottom was my latest and greats creation the Carrot Cake Rice Krispies Treats.

lisa spooner from The Daily Buzz

I think it was around 6:25 when Lisa Spooner did a teaser segway in the kitchen with my Rice Krispies Treats! After this was filmed I went and sat in the green room for an hour and a half and worked on blog stuff and watched the show.

the daily buzz cooking segment

Around 8am while the cast was on air, I worked on a side table to prep my ingredients for my on-air cooking demo, and carefully and quietly brought the ingredients to the kitchen.

marshmallows faux pas

At 8:37 it was my time to shine and overall I’m happy with how I did. Although, as you may have seen I had a little marshmallow faux pas! The marshmallows had been heating for over 15 minutes and by the time we got to my segment they were turning rock hard and beyond overworked.

the daily buzz cooking segment

One of the camera guys was kind enough to take a few photos of me. This was after we filmed the cooking segment. Oh, and for the record. I did not purposefully match (Le Creuset pot, apron, shirt).

daily buzz cooking segment

And well, because I’m short, I had to stand on a riser box so I could be around the same height as the cohost! lol.

lisa spooner from the daily buzz

Lisa Spooner and I after the show.

the daily buzz jessica reyes

Jessica Reyes and I after the show.

daily buzz

After the show ended I started cleaning up, and this is what I was faced with. I packed up my car (with the help of the lovely staff from The Daily Buzz) and drove home to soak my Le Creuset pot and put everything away.

I stopped by good ‘ol Dunkin for an (extra large) Iced Coffee to keep me going since at this point it was 11am and I still had to get to work and stay awake for the next 8 hours.

dirty kitchen

And this is what I got home too… I was praying that the dish fairies would swoop down and clean up the kitchen for me. All-in-all I had a phenomenal day yesterday and can not thank all of your enough for the kind comments and support I’ve received!

Disclaimer: I was not paid nor required to post about my cooking segment on The Daily Buzz. I simply wanted to share my experience with my readers. This post contains affiliate links.

30 Responses to “{Announcement + Video} My First National Cooking Segment Debut!”

1. Samantha posted on September 19, 2012 at 10:58 am (#)

I’m so excited for you, Katie! You did an amazing job and you look wonderful.

• Katie replied on September 19th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words Samantha!!!!

2. JulieD posted on September 19, 2012 at 11:44 am (#)

You did an awesome job!!! And I love that you showed a picture of your kitchen!!!!! :D

• Katie replied on September 19th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thanks! OMG… seriously when I walked into the house (because I was starting to become delirious by 6pm) I totally forgot about how many dishes and how disastrous our kitchen looked. I spent 2 hours cleaning! :(

3. amy @ fearless homemaker posted on September 19, 2012 at 11:51 am (#)

So fun! I’m actually going to be doing my first live on-air cooking demo on one of our local tv stations next week, so it’s especially fun for me to see/read about this now. =) Great job!

• Katie replied on September 19th, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Congrats Amy! If your cooking demo is anything like mine–you need to bring EVERYTHING yourself… I brought multiple dish towels a roll of paper towels, a cutting board, knife, etc… its better to be over prepared than not have the equipment you need.

4. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking posted on September 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm (#)

This is way too cool Katie. You did an awesome job!

5. Cassie posted on September 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm (#)

This is SO great, you are a rock star!! So happy for you!

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Cassie!

6. Michelle posted on September 20, 2012 at 5:43 am (#)

Katie, I loved this!!!!!! :) I could feel your excitement and exhaustion once it was over, and you looked adorable! Awesome job! Xoxox !

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks so much for the kind comments Michelle. I’m still so exhausted!

7. icakepops posted on September 20, 2012 at 9:51 am (#)

Big congrats! You were awesome!!! I wish you many, many more successes like this.

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks so much!!!

8. danielle posted on September 20, 2012 at 11:41 am (#)

Great job – you looked like a natural!

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Danielle. I’m so glad that my jitters don’t really show on camera!

9. addie @ culicurious posted on September 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm (#)

Very cool! Congrats on the great opportunity! :)

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Addie!

10. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on September 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm (#)

Congrats! You are such a natural! Soon enough you’ll have your own cooking show!

• Katie replied on September 20th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for the kind compliments! I’d love to have my own cooking show!

11. Heather M posted on September 21, 2012 at 8:01 am (#)

Fantastic job! Can’t wait to see your next segment!

• Katie replied on September 21st, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Heather!

12. Kelly posted on September 21, 2012 at 9:01 am (#)

This is amazing Katie! I love how much you and your brands have grown since I met you last year! You rock! Oh and Jon too of course! ;)

• Katie replied on September 21st, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Awe thanks Kelly! It is incredible–I’m so humbled by it all.

13. Suzanne posted on September 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm (#)

Congrats again! You looked fantastic. Oh, and my kitchen looks like that on a day-to-day basis.

• Katie replied on September 22nd, 2012 at 2:20 pm

lol glad to know I’m not the only one with a messy kitchen!

14. Aggie posted on September 23, 2012 at 6:45 am (#)

Oh my gosh Katie you did great!!!! I’m so proud of you!!

• Katie replied on September 23rd, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Aggie. I’m pretty proud of myself, too!

15. Christine @ Cooking with Cakes posted on October 2, 2012 at 10:18 am (#)

Congrats Katie, the segment came out great!! So impressed with the volume & variety of treats you were able to prepare overnight – kudos all around :)

1. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Egg White Tacos {Guest Post}