Broccoli and Pecorino Tart

Sometimes I just want a simple meal. Some people may be surprised by that statement and others may say that I never can just produce a simple meal. Everything has to be elaborate and complicated. In an effort to save money I try to cook lunch at home on the weekends. I try to keep it simple when it comes to lunch. I don’t want to over complicate things nor do I want to be in the kitchen all day.

Broccoli and Pecorino Tart

My husband and I are also getting ready to embark on a trip of our dreams (so that would also account for why we are trying to save every penny we are earning right now). Our trip includes 6 days in Italy (5 cities). I know authentic Italian food can be kept very simple yet full of flavorful and can leave a lasting impression. I’ve been cooking tons of simple Italian dishes over the past few months to get our pallets even more excited about Italy!

Broccoli and Pecorino Tart

Because this is a simple recipe to make–it makes it ideal for entertaining. Serve this up as an alternative when you’re watching the game. It essentially has the same concept as pizza; yet not greasy and uber cheesy.

Source: Everyday Food, September 2012

Broccoli and Pecorino Tart

Broccoli and Pecorino Tart

• All-Purpose Flour (for work surface)
  • 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
  • 2 cups Broccoli, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, pressed
  • 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, grated
  • 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, shaved

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out puff pastry. Transfer to either a pizza pan or a parchment lined baking sheet.
  3. In a bowl, toss together the broccoli, olive oil, pressed garlic, red pepper flakes and grated Pecorino Romano. Spread the mixture, evenly, around the puff pastry. Then using a peeler, shave off about 1/4 cup of Pecorino Romano to be placed on top.
  4. Bake the puff pastry tart until it is golden brown and "puffed up" (about 30 minutes). Serve hot and cut into squares! Enjoy.

15 Responses to “Broccoli and Pecorino Tart”

1. danielle posted on September 12, 2012 at 9:59 am (#)

This sounds great!

2. Cate posted on September 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm (#)

Ahhhh- so jealous! I visited Florence when I was studying abroad in Paris and I’ve been longing to go back and see more of Italy. Even simple meals at non-fancy cafeterias were AMAZING. You’re totally going to love it πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on September 12th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Cate you are getting me so excited! We will be spending 1 day in Florence/Pisa/Tuscany region. I can’t wait!!! Don’t worry I’m sure I’ll be bringing everyone on a virtual culinary tour with me!

3. Christine (Cook the Story) posted on September 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm (#)

Mmm…I love pecorino. Bet it’s saltiness does something crazy good to that broccoli.

Need I say it again? I am totally jealous of your upcoming trip!

• Katie replied on September 14th, 2012 at 6:53 am

Christine, yes the satiness of the pecorino is exactly what makes this broccoli shine! This is a perfect tart to whip up while I’m gone… you can live vicariously through me!

4. Cathy @ Noble Pig posted on September 13, 2012 at 11:39 am (#)

Looks lovely! I love making rustic little tarts this way!

• Katie replied on September 14th, 2012 at 6:54 am

Cathy–this is my first rustic tart… I can see so many more in my future!

5. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on September 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm (#)

Dude – most awesome tart combo ever! I definitely need to make this for dinner tonight πŸ™‚

• Katie replied on September 14th, 2012 at 6:54 am

Awe thanks! Super simple–that’s what I like to do!

6. kristy @ the wicked noodle posted on September 14, 2012 at 9:02 am (#)

What a deliciously different tart and a great way to eat your broccoli! Count me in!

• Katie replied on September 15th, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Kristy–I agree with you and its versatile if you don’t like broccoli try a shredded asparagus or even thinly sliced zucchini.

7. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted on September 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm (#)

Totally pinning this one–I love puff pastry and I love pecorino even more! πŸ˜€

• Katie replied on September 15th, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Kiersten glad I could introduce you to this recipe!!!

8. Aggie posted on September 23, 2012 at 6:48 am (#)

I really really like this Katie.

• Katie replied on September 23rd, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Aggie–it is so good and easy to make!