Creamy Arroz con PolloPosted by Katie on Oct 30, 2012 in beans, Chicken, Main Dish, Mexican, Product Review | 8 comments
Every now and then I’m looking for a quick dinner to make. One that is semi-homemade and comes with a little added help in the kitchen. Before I left for Europe I was contacted by Progresso to try the new Progresso™ Recipe Starters™. I love Progresso™ soups so I had a feeling I would like this new product. The box arrived while I was on vacation which was perfect timing because I knew once I was home I was going to have a lot of busy days ahead of me and I would need quick meals to make.
The past week has been beyond hectic for me so I had planned to give the Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ creamy roasted garlic with chicken stock sauce a try. What I love about these sauces is that a typical serving size for one 18 ounce can is 4-8 servings! That means you can really stretch the dollar a long way. They have 5 new sauces; Creamy Parmesan Basil, Creamy Portabella Mushroom, Fire Roasted Tomato, Creamy Roasted Garlic, Creamy Three Cheese. I’m not gonna lie. I expected to see goopy sludge like sauce come out of the can, but too my surprise it was “soup” like… a nice consistency and not difficult to remove from the can. Then again, this is Progresso™ who made this new and exciting product! So the next time you are stuck in a dinner time rut, head over to the new Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ page and browse through the 80+ recipes they have on hand!
Adapted from: Progresso™
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken strips
- 1 cup converted or regular long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
- 1 can (18 oz) Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ creamy roasted garlic with chicken stock cooking sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tomato, diced
- Cilantro, Green Onions, sliced olives and Cheese for topping
- Using a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken in oil for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove from skillet; cover to keep warm.
- Add rice and taco seasoning mix to skillet and stir to mix well. Stir in cooking sauce and 1 cup water. Heat to boiling; cook 5 minutes (stirring frequently). Stir in beans and frozen corn; heat to boiling.
- Return the chicken to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the diced tomato into the skillet. Mix well.
- Serve each person 1-2 chicken strips with a hearty helping of rice and beans. Sprinkle cilantro, green onion, and shredded cheddar cheese over the plate, and top with a few slicked black olives. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: I was provided Progresso™ Recipe Starters™ to sample. I was not compensated to blog about the product. All opinions are always my own.