Pea & Pasta Soup
In ode to my current trip to Italy I figured I would give my readers a little taste of Italy. Italian meals are about simple yet bold flavors. First off, last month’s issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray (in my mind) was created just for me. As you know I’m on my last day of vacation before I have to fly back to the states. I’m sure I’ve consumed quite a few amazing meals by now. (Remember, this is scheduled out since I promised my husband that I would unplug from the internet!)
Ok, back to the magazine. I couldn’t put last months issue down. It was preparing me for all the amazing food I was about to experience. So I kind of went a little overboard and started making tons of Italian food. When I found the recipe for this soup I knew I had to make it. I love has simple it is yet the flavor profile tastes like it has been slow cooked on the stove for hours! This is a perfect quick soup to whip up now that fall weather has begun!
Adapted from: EveryDay with Rachael Ray
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram or thyme
- 2 (32 oz) boxes of chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups ditalini pasta
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan + additional for topping
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced pancetta and cook until the fat renders and it begins to brown (about 5 minutes). Add the diced onion and marjoram and cook until the onion is softened (about 8 minutes). Feel free to lower the heat if the onions are starting to brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil (over high heat). Stir in the ditalini pasta and peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in one cup of parmesan cheese. Serve and sprinkle additional cheese on top. Enjoy!
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74