Egg White Tacos

Egg White Tacos

Last year, I shared this recipe over at Nutmeg Nanny’s blog! And I wanted to share this with my readers in case you missed it! This is a perfect way to start the new year. Use up some leftovers and well eat healthy! My husband and I are big breakfast people, so on the weekends we naturally have large sometimes fancy morning breakfast/brunch. I had a wide variety of taco topping leftovers and a few taco shells left so I decided to make breakfast tacos!

Breakfast Tacos

I’ve always only eaten egg whites, so I ran with my idea to create an egg white taco. This is super simple to put together. You can make a large pan of eggs and set all of your toppings out on the counter and let your family and friends build their own breakfast tacos just as they would if it were a traditional dinner time taco bar. I love using the extra-large overstuffed taco shells because you can fit a lot more in them. Typically you will use 3/4 of an egg per extra-large taco shell. I never thought to mix my egg whites with guacamole. The flavors work well together, trust me! Next time your hosting brunch–switch it up and make an egg taco bar!

Egg White Tacos

• 1 tbsp butter
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 3 Crunchy Corn Taco Shells
  • 3 tbsp (divided) salsa
  • 3 tbsp (divided) guacamole
  • 3 tbsp (divided) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp (divided) diced tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp (divided) sliced olives
  • 2 tbsp (divided) minced cilantro

1. Preheat the oven to "low broil".
  2. In a frying pan add one tablespoon of butter and melt, cooking on medium heat. While the butter is melting, remove yolk from egg whites. Lightly whisk egg whites to add air to the eggs.
  3. Place taco shells under broiler for one minute. Remove once heated through and golden in color.
  4. Pour eggs into frying pan, and scramble until cooked.
  5. Divide eggs among 3 taco shells. Sprinkle cheddar cheese, salsa, guacamole, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, and cilantro on each of the tacos. Serve immediately and enjoy!

22 Responses to “Egg White Tacos”

1. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted on January 2, 2013 at 7:47 am (#)

I eat egg whites almost every day – this looks incredible!!! I love frying one whole egg plus several whites then topping with black beans, avocado and cilantro. YUM!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 am

Oh I like what your describing Liz *sans the whole egg–I’m a 100% egg white kind of girl!

2. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on January 2, 2013 at 9:07 am (#)

Love the idea of a breakfast taco bar! We eat breakfast tacos a lot, so a taco bar would be a perfect idea for Saturday brunch!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 am

Love it!

3. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 2, 2013 at 9:16 am (#)

What a fun idea to do a breakfast taco bar!!! My kids would absolutely love that!!!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yes, Jocelyn! Switch it up…they won’t expect it and I’m sure you’ll have no problem getting them to eat breakfast in the morning!

4. Ashley posted on January 2, 2013 at 11:10 am (#)

This is brilliant! Totally trying this over the weekend.

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:49 am

Awe thanks Ashley!

5. addie | culicurious posted on January 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

These look great, Katie. I love breakfast tacos :)

6. JulieD posted on January 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm (#)

Looks great, Katie! I have had breakfast burritos but not tacos before!!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:51 am

Julie–I do a lot of breakfast burritos but just wanted to switch it up a little! I had tacos when I was in Texas so this kind of helped push me to break away from the burritos!

7. Frank @ Kraemers Culinary Blog posted on January 3, 2013 at 12:08 am (#)

I never thought of tacos for breakfast, but these look delicious and are healthy, too.

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:51 am

Thanks Frank! The sky is the limit when it comes to breakfast!

8. Christine (Cook the Story) posted on January 3, 2013 at 9:41 am (#)

What a healthy and fresh breakfast to start out the new year with. I’m going to try it this weekend!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:19 am

Christine–its just a great way to use up all those taco leftovers! Hope you guys enjoy them as much as we do!

9. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on January 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm (#)

What a great idea! I am not a huge egg lover, but this I could eat all the time – love Mexican

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Erin! I hope you enjoy them!

10. Samantha posted on January 3, 2013 at 6:00 pm (#)

I’m making these saturday morning for Joe and I. I can’t wait. I am a huge taco fan and a huge egg white fan so I am excited! PS. Are these your new camera settings?! LOOKING GOOD!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Sam, you guys are going to love them! AND NO! This photo was taken MONTHS ago! lol. But next week post will be in manual! :)

11. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on January 4, 2013 at 3:23 am (#)

You’ve combined all of my favorite things into one gorgeous taco! I’ll take 3 please :)

12. The Crying Cook posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm (#)

This is perfect for a brunch! Any excuse to have friends over!

1. Pingback: 15 Amazing Breakfast Tacos