Cinnamon-Maple Granola

Ever since I first started making my own granola last year–I’ve been hooked! I’m now finding myself experimenting and making new granola recipes. Last month, I joined my friend Christine from Cook the Story and MJ from The Merry Gourmet for the first ever Food Reading Monthly Twitter Party. One of my goals in 2013 is to improve on my writing. So, this idea came about last November, and I immediately placed Best Food Writing 2012 edited by Holly Hughes on my Christmas list. Lucky for me…. Santa brought it for me (i.e., my husband)!

So on the last Thursday of the month at 9:00pm Eastern Time we talk about one essay or story from Best Food Writing 2012, edited by Holly Hughes. Last month, we discussed ‘Sweet Spot’ by Paul Graham. This was a beautifully written story about harvesting maple syrup of all things. Something of which I had little knowledge of how tedious and pain staking the process is. Living in Florida I’m not really exposed to maple trees or maple harvesting. I read the short story before bed one evening. Big mistake. My entire nights sleep was filled with a variety of dreams that all had to do with maple syrup. I woke up the next morning starving and simply wanting to gulp an expensive bottle of precious maple syrup. And that my friends is exactly how this cinnamon-maple granola recipe was born.

Our next chat will be next Thursday, February 28th at 9:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. We will be discussing ‘Lasagna Bolognese’ by Deb Perelman (p. 103). You can also find this piece online on Deb Perelman’s blog The Smitten Kitchen. This online book club is open for anyone to participate. You just have to have a twitter account. Whether or not you are a food blogger, I hope you can join us and indulge on a short story as a dozen of us food bloggers tweet about the story, our emotions tied with it, and our overall thoughts.

Cinnamon-Maple Granola

Yield: 6 cups

Cinnamon-Maple Granola

• 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
  2. In a sauce pan combine maple syrup and canola oil. Heat until hot but not bubbling, about 5 minutes.
  3. While the syrup is warming in a large bowl combine oats, chopped nuts, wheat germ, and cinnamon. Mix well then pour the syrup mixture over the granola. Mix well again and then spread out on a lined baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes at 300 degrees. Make sure you mix the granola every 15 minutes. Once granola is out of the oven and has cooled--store in airtight containers (such-as mason jars) for up to 1 week.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

18 Responses to “Cinnamon-Maple Granola”

1. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted on February 21, 2013 at 7:46 am (#)

I want this right now!!!! I think I just might make a batch!

• Katie replied on February 21st, 2013 at 8:16 am

Awe thanks Liz! This granola is so good and I love the peanuts in it. Way different than your traditional granola!

2. Shaina posted on February 21, 2013 at 8:34 am (#)

Mmmm coconut!

I can’t find the link to the story on Smitten Kitchen’s blog, can you e-mail me the link? I’d really like to read and hopefully participate in next week’s discussion!

3. Shaina posted on February 21, 2013 at 8:34 am (#)

I totally meant to write cinnamon…not coconut…

4. Nutmeg Nanny posted on February 21, 2013 at 11:48 am (#)

I love homemade granola. Especially when it’s made with all these delicious spices!

• Katie replied on February 25th, 2013 at 11:02 am

Thanks Brandy! This granola was soooo good!

5. Jackie @ The Beeroness posted on February 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm (#)

I need to start joining some of those twitter chats! I always forget about them until after the party is over. This granola looks mamzingly addictive :)

• Katie replied on February 25th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks Jackie! Try to read the article before Thursday and join in on the fun! :)

6. Dianna posted on February 22, 2013 at 8:41 am (#)

My heart wants to join your reading group… but my already overloaded brain that can barely manage my current think-load says no! Haha! Maybe I’ll jump aboard the book club train soon. Meanwhile, I think I’ll try this granola. Looks delish!

• Katie replied on February 25th, 2013 at 10:58 am

Awe thanks Dianna! What is nice about this book club is that each story is only a few pages long! It will take you 10-15 minutes to read and then a half hour online! :) Join in!!!

7. addie | culicurious posted on February 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm (#)

Fantastic looking granola! Love all the nuts. YUM! :)

8. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on February 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm (#)

I love making my own granola, this is such a great flavor!

• Katie replied on February 25th, 2013 at 10:52 am

Thanks Erin!

9. Suzanne posted on February 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm (#)

We used to make our granola all the time, then got lazy. I love being able to tailor the granola to our individual tastes.

• Katie replied on February 28th, 2013 at 7:43 am

Yah I go through spurts of granola making. I actually need to make a batch this weekend–its on my list of things to do!

1. Pingback: Blueberry-Almond Granola {guest post for Katie's Cucina} - Cooking with Books