Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from KatiesCucina.com

Happy Valentine’s Day! Are you making someone special a fancy dinner or a sweet treat today? If you are a last minute planner, but still want to do something special these Red Velvet Crispy Bars with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting are perfect for the last minute planner! Lets also get this straight, thanks to food bloggers Valentine’s day is not complete without something red velvet flavored! Valentine’s day essentially equals all things red velvet. And since I was super busy last week hosting Fondue Week I figured I needed to throw a red velvet recipe for good measure! I mean I did make Baked Red Velvet {Heart Shaped} Donuts last year as well as Red Velvet Butter Cookies. So it’s only right that I made something red velvet for this Valentine’s Day!

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from KatiesCucina.com
I packed one of these Red Velvet Crispy Bars (naked) for my husband this morning. Naked meaning no Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting with sprinkles (get your mind out of the gutter). I think he will survive and actually like them better since he isn’t a huge chocolate fan. However, he loves red velvet (which is really just chocolate cake with red food die). I don’t get him but I do get what he loves in life!

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from KatiesCucina.com

These thick 2-inchbars are a perfect treat for just about anyone. If you need a larger amount of these bars for say a Valentine’s day part or for treats for co-workers you can cut them in half and make them into little squares! Just as good and I’m sure those who receive it will be fighting one another for more! So, if your like me and not always on it… whip up a batch of these Red Velvet Crispy Bars with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (and extra sprinkles for good measure) today!

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from KatiesCucina.com

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Yield: 10 bars

Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

For the Crispy Bars:
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1(10.5 oz) bag of mini marshmallows
  • 1-1/2 cups of red velvet cake mix
  • 10 red food coloring drops (optional)
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
  • Cooking Spray
  • For the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 20 drops red food coloring
  • Valentine's Sprinkles

For the Crispy Bars:
  1. In a large pot, melt butter on medium heat (about 2 minutes depending on your stove top). Remove the pot from the heat. Then add the mini marshmallows and stir until they are almost melted. Then mix in the red velvet cake mix and red food coloring drops. Next, mix in the rice krispies cereal until well incorporated.
  2. Pour the rice krispies mixture into a well greased 9 x 9 square pan. Using a hard spatula press down the krispies until they are well packed into the pan and level. Let them sit at room temperature for up to a half hour.
  3. Once the krispies have cooled, invert pan over a cutting board. They should slide right out of the pan (if they don't give the pan a tap or two). Then cut into 10 (4.5-inch long) bars.
  4. To make the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
  5. In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment beat cream cheese for 30 seconds, then add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and red food coloring. Mix until well incorporated about 1 minute.
  6. Using a spatula smear the frosting on to the tops of each individual bar. Then top with sprinkles if desired.

Notes

*the bars will need at least 30 minutes to cool.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.

27 Responses to “Red Velvet Crispy Bars w/ Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. danielle posted on February 14, 2013 at 8:30 am (#)

These sound great! Perfect for valentines day.

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Danielle!

2. Christine (Cook the Story) posted on February 14, 2013 at 10:34 am (#)

Wow! These are so fun. Love the color and the flavor combo. Way to make rice crispy squares shine. Happy Valentine’s Day, Katie!

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Christine… Happy Valentine’s Day to you too!

3. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on February 14, 2013 at 11:03 am (#)

That chocolate cream cheese icing alone is to die for. :) These are so festive and fun! Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Sally! Happy Valentine’s Day to you too!

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on February 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm (#)

These are just too cute! I don’t celebrate V-day but I still want to make these tonight!

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Awe… well make them regardless!

5. Samantha posted on February 14, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

My mind wasn’t in the gutter until you put it there!!! LOL
    These are so cute. Extra sprinkles, Yes please!

• Katie replied on February 14th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Ha ha Sam… that is my true personality coming out~!

6. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on February 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm (#)

Oooh! I love these! TOTALLY pinned. :)

• Katie replied on February 15th, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks Dorothy!

7. JulieD posted on February 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm (#)

Ahh I die! These look fantastic!!

• Katie replied on February 15th, 2013 at 7:10 am

Thanks Julie… they are pretty darn good!

8. Heidi @foodiecrush posted on February 15, 2013 at 10:11 am (#)

I’m such a fan of rice krispie treats, so easy to make especially with the kiddos. But the frosting takes it to new heights! Love the addition.

• Katie replied on February 16th, 2013 at 9:08 am

THanks Heidi! I agree adding frosting on krispies treats always takes it to a new level. I’ve now found that I don’t like them unless they have frosting. I’m kind of a krispies treats snob! lol.

9. Karly posted on February 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm (#)

Oh, these look amazing! How have I never had chocolate cream cheese frosting before??

• Katie replied on February 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Thanks Karly! I figured that everyone did plain ‘ol cream cheese so I figured adding a little cocoa powder to it would give the perfect chocolate undertones (and it did)!

10. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted on February 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm (#)

So pretty! I’m always a sucker for rice krispie treats & adding frosting is even better. :)

11. brandi posted on February 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm (#)

this is such a cute idea!

12. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on February 15, 2013 at 3:50 pm (#)

Love that you top them with chocolate cream cheese frosting! We might have to extend our Valentine’s Day celebration to this weekend by making these!

• Katie replied on February 16th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Do it Jessica! Seriously, Red Velvet doesn’t just have to be saved for Valentine’s! Eat it year round! ;)

13. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on February 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm (#)

These look amazing, Katie! So cute and I love how easy they are, too! Great recipe.

• Katie replied on February 16th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Thanks Georgia! Easy is my middle name (ok well not really… but you get what I’m saying)! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

14. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on February 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm (#)

Love rice krispies! These bars are adorable!

• Katie replied on February 17th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks Anna!

15. Paul posted on February 22, 2013 at 9:25 am (#)

I am a sucker for sweets. These look awesome. Have to try them. Thanks. p.s., also like your scampi. Just posted a similar recipe to my blog.