Grilled Corn Chowder

Grilled Corn Chowder from KatiesCucina.com

Grilled Corn. I can’t get enough of it in the summer months. It wasn’t until last year that I started enjoying grilled corn. Earlier this month, while cruising the Caribbean I got caught up on some of my magazines on one of our sea days. As I flipped through the magazine this recipe for Grilled Corn Chowder popped out at me. I read through the recipe and flagged it to make when I got back home. And that I did…

Grilled Corn Chowder from KatiesCucina.com using the @OXO Corn Stripper

I also reached out to OXO to try out their corn stripper tool. If there is one thing I hate in life it is cutting corn of the cob. The kernels go everywhere and before I know it my kitchen is a mess. My husband was not happy to see yet another “kitchen gadget” arrive at our home, but I promised him this would be one gadget that would get great use–especially in the summer! I used it and we were both in awe… awe at how clean the kitchen was and how quickly I was able to cut off the corn off the cob in no time! Seriously, if y’all make lots of corn recipes or have a picky eater who refuses to eat the corn off the cob (or like me lacked front teeth for multiple summers in a row growing up), you will want to invest in the corn stripper.

Grilled Corn Chowder from KatiesCucina.com

I know some of you may be thinking that I’m out of my mind to be making soup in the summer… I’m not… well ok, maybe. But for those who know me in real life I’m a soup connoisseur and love to eat soup all year round. This grilled variety hits the spot and even better its vegetarian friendly!

Adapted from Better Homes and Garden July 2013

• 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • Cilantro and Lime for garnish

1. Preheat your grill to medium heat. Grill the corn and poblano pepper for 15 minutes. The pepper should be charred and the corn should be tender with some grill marks. Remove from the grill and let the corn and pepper cool to room temperature. When the corn is cool enough to handle, using the corn stripper, remove the kernels off the cob. You'll also want to remove the skin off the poblano pepper, slice it in half, and remove the seeds. Set both corn and poblano pepper to the side.
  2. In a large soup pot, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook until fragrant about 1 minute. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of grilled corn kernels, vegetable stock, and peeled and chopped potato. Mix well and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes until the potato is cooked (stir occasionally).
  3. In a bowl add the flour, salt, and pepper and mix. Then stir in the whole milk into the flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
  4. Gradually stir the whole milk mixture into the soup as well as half of the poblano pepper. Cook for five minutes, stirring until slightly thick and bubbly. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture to desired consistency. Ladle soup into bowls, top with remaining grilled corn kernels, chopped poblano pepper, and cilantro.

20 Responses to “Grilled Corn Chowder”

1. DessertForTwo posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm (#)

I definitely need one of those corn strippers! I’ve been cutting corn off cobs for days, and I just found dried up kernels behind my fruit bowl!

• Katie replied on August 7th, 2013 at 11:52 am

Get it girl!!! Totally worth the purchase!

2. Angela Mou posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm (#)

Place the corn cob vertically in a shallow bowl and cut with a normal knife. The kernels will all fall into the bowl.

• Katie replied on August 7th, 2013 at 11:52 am

Great tip for those who do not have the corn stripper!

3. Andi posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:27 pm (#)

I love corn chowder! This looks delicious!

4. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on July 31, 2013 at 8:37 pm (#)

WOW I need to make this soo bad. I am going to add coconut milk instead of regular milk. Love this!

• Katie replied on August 7th, 2013 at 11:51 am

Oh Jocelyn, I love that idea! Let me know how it turns out with coconut milk!

5. Joanne posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:41 am (#)

I’m definitely generally a little wary of soup in the summer but if it has corn, then all of that fades away. LOVE it.

6. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste posted on August 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm (#)

This looks so perfect for a summer dinner! Can’t wait to try it!

7. addie | culicurious posted on August 1, 2013 at 2:22 pm (#)

I also like to eat soup year-round. Why save it only for the cold months?

this soup looks great, BTW. I love corn and that little gadget is intriguing. :)

8. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on August 1, 2013 at 6:57 pm (#)

Grilled corn on the cob is a staple in the summer! I need to get one of those OXO corn strippers!

9. Suzanne posted on August 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm (#)

I love soup, even in the summer time. I bet the grilled corn gives the soup a nice smoky flavor too.

• Katie replied on August 5th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I knew there was an extra reason why I liked you, Suzanne!

10. Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) posted on August 2, 2013 at 11:06 am (#)

There is a vegan corn soup recipe that I absolutely LOVE (and I’m not even vegan!), but it takes FOREVER because of getting all the corn off the cob. That little gadget would be a GODSEND!

• Katie replied on August 5th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Ashley… go make the investment now–totally worth it and half the mess!

11. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. posted on August 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm (#)

Corn chowder is truly one of my favorite things! This looks so yummy!

• Katie replied on August 5th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Stephanie! I never realized how easy it is to make!

12. Nutmeg Nanny posted on August 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm (#)

Corn chowder, YUM!! This looks so delicious :)

• Katie replied on August 10th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks Brandy! I’m already thinking about new variations like adding lobster or crab!!

1. Pingback: 25 Divine Soup Recipes