Lime Couscous with Veggies

Lime Couscous with Veggies from KatiesCucina.com #recipe #couscous

Woo–last week was quite the week. We got back from vacation and then I had major server issues for both my blogs on Friday. You might notice that I’m missing a few of my blog post from last week. I will slowly get them added back to the blog over the next week. Great lesson learned–pay the extra money for a backup system. You can only imagine what I’ll be doing this week (besides re-writing multiple blog post)!

Last Monday, (the day after being home from our 8-day cruise) I finally made dinner after 8 glorious days of being cooking free. Believe it or not–food bloggers like to take a break from cooking too! We get burnt out just like everyone else or at least I can speak for myself and say that I definitely get in ruts in the kitchen. It’s always nice to come back from vacation because I always feel ten-times more inspired to create delicious recipes. While lounging on the lido deck during one of our days at sea I flipped through my most recent issue of Better Homes and Garden. This recipe for Lime Couscous with Veggies jumped out at me. Not only do I love veggies–I adore couscous. My husband, though… not so much.
Lime Couscous with Veggies from KatiesCucina.com #recipe #couscous

This was the first meal I made, upon arriving home from the cruise. In my mind, it was the perfect meal and one that I was looking forward too after gorging my face eating my share of food around the cruise ship. Light and fluffy couscous with pine nuts and fresh vegetables. The lime vinaigrette dressing that goes on top is brilliant! This dish would be just as tasty both hot or cold! The side dish or even main dish screams summers. I served this with grilled boneless skinless chicken breast the night I made this.

Lime Couscous with Veggies from KatiesCucina.com #recipe #couscous

*If you are looking for a 100% vegetarian option make sure you check out the couscous you are using. Most pre-package couscous mixes use a chicken base for flavoring.

Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens July 2013

Blueberry-Almond Granola

Yield: 4 cups

Blueberry-Almond Granola

• 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup dried blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt coconut oil (about 45 seconds). Whisk in maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats and almonds. Drizzle coconut oil mixture over oats/almonds and stir until combined.
  4. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until almonds are toasted.
  5. Sprinkle dried blueberries into cooked granola and let cool for an hour, stirring occasionally.
  6. Store in airtight jar for up to two-three weeks.

Notes

This recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled, as well as simple to adapt to whatever you have in your pantry. Have pecans instead of almonds? Use them. Dried apricots instead of blueberries? Go for it! Make this recipe your own.

18 Responses to “Lime Couscous with Veggies”

1. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted on July 15, 2013 at 8:06 am (#)

This sounds right up my alley!!

2. steph@stephsbitebybite posted on July 15, 2013 at 8:49 am (#)

The lime kick sounds like the perfect touch!

3. Shaina posted on July 15, 2013 at 10:16 am (#)

Katie this sounds delicious! Cous Cous is one of my absolute favorites and you paired it with the perfect summer veggies…great recipe!

4. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on July 15, 2013 at 10:26 am (#)

Lime sounds like it would be amazing in this dish!!

5. addie | culicurious posted on July 15, 2013 at 10:31 am (#)

Katie, are you grabbing the text from an RSS Reader? I don’t know if you literally mean “rewrite” or just recompose. I subscribe via RSS so I do have all the text. I’m sure you’ve got this all figured out tho. Just wanted to make sure you know your text still exists!!

Great recipe too! I love meatless dishes with lots of flavor!

6. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain posted on July 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm (#)

I want a big ol’ bowl of this!! Love me some couscous!

• Katie replied on July 17th, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Lauren!

7. Angie @ Big Bear's Wife posted on July 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm (#)

Vacation does that to me too, it makes me want to get back into the kitchen! I can’t wait to try that lime vinaigrette dressing!

• Katie replied on July 17th, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I can’t wait to try the vinaigrette on a traditional salad!

8. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious posted on July 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm (#)

Hello fellow couscouser! Are we living the same lives? I go on a cruise this Saturday! Great looking recipe and I know it’s gonna taste awesome :)

• Katie replied on July 16th, 2013 at 11:25 am

Gerry that’s too ironic! We cruise ALL THE TIME! Already planning our next one for next month! eep! Have a blast on your cruise!

9. carrian posted on July 16, 2013 at 9:23 am (#)

I am looooving that vinaigrette! Oh my gosh, I think I spelled it right all by myself too! Haha, that never happens!

• Katie replied on July 17th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Ha ha Carrian I’m the same way! Great job!

10. Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) posted on July 16, 2013 at 9:37 am (#)

So summery, light, and perfect for this freaking heat wave. Well done!

• Katie replied on July 17th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Yes! Living in Florida I try to make as many non-oven related meals as possible!

11. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies posted on July 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm (#)

I love couscous, but I don’t cook with it nearly enough. This needs to change! Love this. :)

• Katie replied on July 17th, 2013 at 3:48 pm