Lime Couscous with VeggiesPosted by Katie on Jul 15, 2013 in side dish, Vegetable, vegetarian | 17 comments
Woo–last week was quite the week. We got back from vacation and then I had major server issues for both my blogs on Friday. You might notice that I’m missing a few of my blog post from last week. I will slowly get them added back to the blog over the next week. Great lesson learned–pay the extra money for a backup system. You can only imagine what I’ll be doing this week (besides re-writing multiple blog post)!
Last Monday, (the day after being home from our 8-day cruise) I finally made dinner after 8 glorious days of being cooking free. Believe it or not–food bloggers like to take a break from cooking too! We get burnt out just like everyone else or at least I can speak for myself and say that I definitely get in ruts in the kitchen. It’s always nice to come back from vacation because I always feel ten-times more inspired to create delicious recipes. While lounging on the lido deck during one of our days at sea I flipped through my most recent issue of Better Homes and Garden. This recipe for Lime Couscous with Veggies jumped out at me. Not only do I love veggies–I adore couscous. My husband, though… not so much.
This was the first meal I made, upon arriving home from the cruise. In my mind, it was the perfect meal and one that I was looking forward too after
gorging my face eating my share of food around the cruise ship. Light and fluffy couscous with pine nuts and fresh vegetables. The lime vinaigrette dressing that goes on top is brilliant! This dish would be just as tasty both hot or cold! The side dish or even main dish screams summers. I served this with grilled boneless skinless chicken breast the night I made this.
*If you are looking for a 100% vegetarian option make sure you check out the couscous you are using. Most pre-package couscous mixes use a chicken base for flavoring.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens July 2013
- (1) 10 oz. package of couscous with pine nuts
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into half-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 6 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime + zest
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook couscous according to package directions in a small pot. While the couscous is cooking, heat a large pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes, then add the zucchini and asparagus. Place lid on the pan and cook for 5 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Transfer the couscous to a large bowl , fluff with a fork and then add vegetable mixture on top. Lightly toss vegetables with couscous. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- For the sauce: using a mason jar combine the olive oil, honey, salt, lime juice and zest, salt and pepper. Shake well and then pour over couscous.