Ginger Butternut Squash Mashed Potatoes
I’m back from my babymoon–energized and relaxed and ready to share a few tasty fall-like recipes. Last month, I shared my apple butter pork chops. Pictured in some of those photos was this recipe for Ginger Butternut Squash Mashed Potatoes. I wasn’t sure if my husband would go for these doctored up mashed potatoes. He is not a big fan of ginger, so I decided to reduce the amount of ginger that was initially called in the recipe. I also added more brown sugar, because just like butter–everything is better with a little more brown sugar!
I did not give Jon a full serving of the Ginger Butternut Squash Mashed Potatoes only in fear that he would take one bite and then eat around the sweet and savory untraditional potato! I was pleasantly surprised–he ate them quicker than I was able to cut up my pork chop! And then asked for more. He loved them! Shocker to me since I knew the ingredients in the potatoes. In fact, he has asked for me to make these a few times now.
So whether you want to spice up this holiday and go the non-traditional mashed potato route, or you want to spice up your leftover mashed potatoes (which is what I plan to do on the Friday after Thanksgiving), these Ginger Butternut Squash Mashed Potatoes are sure to be a hit in your house just as much as they were in mine!
Adapted from Publix Aprons
- 1 (12-oz) box frozen cooked butternut squash
- 8 oz cup leftover or prepared mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp ginger spice paste
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Microwave squash following package instructions. Transfer squash to medium bowl. Reheat leftover microwave mashed potatoes.
- Stir the mashed potatoes into the butternut squash along with the brown sugar, butter, ginger paste, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the onions. Fold mashed potatoes and all but 1 tablespoon of green onions into squash mixture. Serve and garnish with additional green onions.