Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussels Sprouts

{Guest Post from Katie's Cucina} Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussels Sprouts #recipe #vegetarian #sidedish

Last year, I shared this recipe over on Rachel Cooks. I figured why not share it this year with my readers in case you missed this awesome recipe last year.  People either love or hate Brussels sprouts. I am a lover, but I’ll be the first to admit it wasn’t until my late teens / early twenties when I first began to fall in love with Brussels sprouts. I am always looking for new ways to cook them up. I also love to keep my vegetable side dishes relatively healthy and not drown them in butter and fattening sauces. That is why I turned to my good friend, I mean spice, smoked paprika. This spice packs a punch and can bring tons of new layers of flavors to any dish. I just so happened to have a shallot in my pantry so I decided to make them fancy and add an extra-large shallot to the pan.

Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussel Sprouts Guest Post from KatiesCucina.com #recipe #vegetarian

The night I made the Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussels Sprouts I served them with the most delicious (and once again easy-to-make) Crunchy-Baked Chicken Strips and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower. This is a perfect healthy meal to cook on a busy weeknight when time is limited. Instead of reaching for your phone to call take-out give my complete meal a try!

Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussels Sprouts

• 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and stems removed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme + more for garnishing

1. Trim and remove stems from brussels sprouts. Place in a large pot and boil for 10 minutes until tender.
  2. In a skillet, add two tablespoons olive oil and one shallot (thinly sliced). Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat then add the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika to the pan. Stir well and then add brussels sprouts: stirring so that the shallots and seasoning cover the sprouts. Cook for 5 additional minutes. Once the Brussels sprouts are done sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve!

13 Responses to “Smoked Paprika and Shallot Brussels Sprouts”

1. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted on January 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm (#)

I love brussels sprouts!!!

2. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on January 2, 2014 at 9:54 pm (#)

I love Brussles sprouts! This looks fantastic, Katie! Pinned!

• Katie replied on January 3rd, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks Anna… I love them too and with the paprika it brings them up a notch!

3. danielle posted on January 3, 2014 at 10:58 am (#)

Im a brussle sprout lover! This look sfantastic!

• Katie replied on January 5th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Danielle. Me too… I can’t get enough of them!

4. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on January 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm (#)

Yum! I love the addition of fresh thyme. Bet this is amazing :)

• Katie replied on January 5th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Megan–any time you can add in fresh herbs it’s amazing!!!

5. Deborah posted on January 4, 2014 at 12:16 am (#)

I didn’t even try Brussels sprouts until I was well into my 20s, but I totally love them! This recipe sounds fantastic!

• Katie replied on January 5th, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Deborah!

6. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on January 4, 2014 at 12:46 am (#)

Your Brussels look scrumptious, Katie! I love them smashed, too, and even enjoy them with eggs and bacon for breakfast. Thanks for sharing, girl. Warmest wishes to you and yours for a happy and healthy New Year! xo

• Katie replied on January 5th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Stacy! I’ve never tried them with eggs and bacon for breakfast… must try asap!

7. Nutmeg Nanny posted on January 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

I just love brussel sprouts, this looks fantastic :)

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Thanks! I love them too and don’t get to make them as often as I’d like!