Southwestern Chicken And Rice Stuffed PeppersPosted by Katie on Jan 9, 2014 in Chicken, Katie Original, Main Dish, Mexican | 12 comments
What do you do when you have leftover rotisserie chicken? Why, make Southwestern Chicken And Rice Stuffed Peppers! We love stuffed peppers in our home. From the traditional stuffed peppers with ground beef and rice to my favorite slow cooker chicken enchilada stuffed peppers. Any way you make them–we love stuffed peppers, and thanks to our winter garden I’ve grown a few green bell peppers. Growing up that was the only way we had stuffed peppers, but I learned once I was older that I really enjoyed all other bell peppers other than the green variety.
So when I make stuffed peppers I make them with a mix of colored peppers, that way everyone can enjoy what they like! So let’s talk about these Southwestern Chicken And Rice Stuffed Peppers. I combined black beans and chunky diced rotel and corn with my leftover chicken and rice. Mixed it all together with a little cheese and a few other ingredients and sliced my bell peppers in half. I stuffed them and backed them for an hour. I did not pre-boil the bell peppers like I’ve done in the past. By cooking them for so long and simply covering the baking dish with tin foil it creates enough steam and the peppers are cooked perfectly. So if your a lover of stuffed peppers definitely give my recipe a try for Southwestern Chicken And Rice Stuffed Peppers.
- 2 cups leftover white rice
- 2 cups leftover shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 10oz can of chunky diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (plus more for topping)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 5 bell peppers, multi-color
- Sour cream and cilantro for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together white rice, chicken, black beans, chunky diced tomatoes and green chiles, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, corn, salt, and chili powder. Mix well and set to the side.
- Slice bell peppers in half, remove the seeds. Place in a baking dish and begin to stuff with chicken and rice filling. Add the remaining rice mixture around the peppers (it helps them to stay in place). Cover with tin foil and bake for 55 minutes. Remove tin foil and sprinkle the remaining Mexican shredded cheese on top and bake for a remaining 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired.