This is a sponsored post on behalf of Cost Plus World Market.
Raise your hands if you like to watch movies at home? Raise your hands if you HAVE-TO-HAVE popcorn while watching a movie! For those who can’t see me at my computer, both hands are way up (well not really since I’m typing), but you get my point. We try to watch a few movies at home each month and have an in-home date night complete with popcorn! Because let’s face it. You can’t watch a movie without eating popcorn!!! Or at least I can’t.
I know what you are thinking. Another bacon recipe. Sorry, not sorry? I feel like I’m craving bacon ten times more than before I was pregnant, and since I’m officially 9 months today (how the heck did that happen), I figure I’m aloud to post tons of bacon recipes for my fellow non-pregnant readers. Why not?
Last month, I was contacted by my favorite people over at World Market to create a recipe for Movie Night. I instantly knew I wanted to make a popcorn recipe. Sadly, I have very few popcorn recipes on Katie’s Cucina and I definitely want to change that. While browsing the food and drink aisles of World Market I stumbled across BACON SALT. Without hesitation I picked it up.
Bacon salt? I love the slogan on the packaging “Everything should taste like Bacon“. Best of all its low sodium, all natural, vegetarian, and kosher! I too was shocked at the vegetarian claim, but it really is. Note, omit the bacon bits on my recipe to make this a vegetarian version. It has a strong smokey taste to it and has very little salt to the seasoning. Think of a smoky seasoning more than salty. In my popcorn recipe you’ll notice I added sea salt to my recipe because I felt it needed some real salt. Making popcorn at home is really easy and way more cost effective than the bagged variety. Throughout the years, I’ve done some research and have figured out what gives homemade popcorn that movie theater taste, and believe it or not its coconut oil! It might seem odd, but coconut oil gives that buttery flavor without all the butter. In fact this recipe has no butter at all–just loads of bacon goodness.
Tips for making popcorn at home:
- Use a large cast iron pot (or a large pot if you don’t have a cast iron one).
- Melt the coconut oil before putting the kernels into the pot.
- Use a lid to secure the oil/kernels from going all over the kitchen.
- DO NOT remove the lid until the kernels are done popping (this will help you not have a messy kitchen and save you from oil burns).
- Season popcorn immediately after its done popping.
- Store leftovers in an airtight bag for only a day. After that it will go stale.
Here is a list of ingredients/supplies I picked up from World Market to make our movie nights complete: Popcorn Serving Bowl, Small Popcorn Boxes, Popcorn Kernel Yard Stick, J&D’s Original Bacon Salt, Island Essentials Organic Coconut Oil, Aqua Bird Ceramic Salt Cellar, and World Market Fine Sea Salt.
Katie Original Recipe
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1 tsp Bacon Salt
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tbsp bacon bits (optional)
- In a large cast iron pot heat the coconut oil on high until melted. Then reduce the heat down to medium. Add the 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels and place the lid on top of the pot (leaving it slightly cracked open). It will take about 5 minutes until you start hearing the kernels begin to pop. Set a timer for 2 minutes. Let the kernels pop. Remove from heat at the 2 minute mark and shake the pot slightly. Once you don't hear the kernels popping any longer remove the lid.
- Season hot popcorn with one teaspoon bacon salt and 1/4 teaspoon table salt. Mix well and enjoy immediately. *To give the popcorn an extra bacon treat add one tablespoon of bacon bits on top of the popcorn.
*Do not remove the lid while the oil and kernels are popping you will have popcorn explosion on your stove top--take it from me. Don't be tempted and just let the kernels cook.
Cost Plus World Market wants to give one lucky fan the chance to win free movies for a year which equals to $1600 Fandango Gift Card and a $1,000 World Market Gift Card! World Market will also chose 3 runner ups which will each win $500 Fandango gift card and a $500 World Market gift card. Head on over to the sweepstake page for a chance to win.
Disclaimer: I was compensated to create a recipe for Cost Plus World Market. I love the brand and the products they sell. As always all opinions are always my own.
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74