Introducing the Next Generation of Katie’s Cucina…

Announcing the birth of the next generation of Katie's Cucina, Ryder Thomas

(photo by Christy Buonomo Photography)

Last Saturday, March 29, 2014 my husband and I welcomed the birth of our son, Ryder Thomas. He was three days “late” from my predicted due date (that bounced around through the course of my pregnancy. Let’s rewind back to my 40 week appointment of how this little guy got here. My blood pressure was a little elevated and my midwife wanted me to undergo a few extra test just to make sure that all was well with myself and the baby. By that Friday morning we found out that I was very low on amniotic fluids and well, my blood pressure never went down. That afternoon my midwife called me and told me to head to the hospital that my wish was coming true and I would soon be meeting my baby.

The next generation of Katie's Cucina

After 22 hours of labor (11 of those with no epidural) I had not progressed and was starting to spike a fever (as well as my blood pressure was still on the high side). We made the decision around 6pm on that Saturday to have a c-section. Not by choice, but this baby was not moving down and I had not dilated past 7 cm for over 5 hours. By 6:55 pm our son, Ryder Thomas was born. I will have a full birth story (with a ton more details) on my DIY blog, Sew Woodsy, in the coming weeks. Ryder weighted in at 6 lbs, 9 oz and 19-1/4inches long! If you ask me he looks just like his daddy–long and lengthy and a total heart throb already. But then again, I’m a little biased!

The next generation of Katie's Cucina

We spent 4 (long days) in the hospital until they finally allowed us to discharge. Because I spiked a fever during labor, Ryder had to get antibiotics through an IV every 8 hours for 48 hours. Making this mama sad and already blaming herself for not opting for a c-section earlier in the laboring. But what can you do, if that’s the worse that was wrong with him, I’ll take it! I was so ready to get home and get the show on the road.

My super talented friend, Christy, came to visit us in the hospital and did what is called a “fresh 48” photo shoot. This is a great way to document the first 48 hours in the hospital as a new family. The first photo up top was taken by Christy as well as this one she posted on Instagram. I can’t wait to see the rest of the photos!

The next generation of Katie's CucinaI will leave you with one more photo of Mr. Ryder Thomas. My father in-law took this photo of Ryder on his iPhone in the black and white setting (on accident). We absolutely loved the photo and made him send it to us ASAP. We have been at home for almost a week now and are getting adjusted to the new “normal”. We made it through the first week and everyone is still alive! I even managed to cook a freezer meal (a post on that coming soon) as well as cook a few breakfasts’. And not just cereal or a store bought pastry for breakfast in our home. Ryder is also doing great. He eats like a champ (I’ve chosen to exclusively breast feed) and  sleeps pretty darn well. He sleeps 3-5 hours at a time. Which most people tell us in unheard of. He really only cries when he is hungry or has a dirty diaper and if he starts to have a crying fit it really freaks us out because we have no clue why else he is crying. We have only experienced 2 of those crying fits in his first 9 days of life. I consider myself crazy lucky.

For the remainder of the month I’ll have my closest  blogging friends helping out while I get adjusted to this new thing called parenthood. I’m so incredibly grateful for the help of our parents, family, and friends while we adjust to being a family.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74

34 Responses to “Introducing the Next Generation of Katie’s Cucina…”

1. danielle posted on April 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm (#)

He is gorgeous! And I love the name. Congratulations to you both and welcome to parenthood!!

2. MommyNamedApril posted on April 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm (#)

he’s so precious katie. sorry you had to go through labor + section, but i’m glad everyone came out healthy 🙂 congrats, congrats, congrats!

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Thanks April!

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 7, 2014 at 6:36 pm (#)

He is seriously the cutest. Congratulations Katie!!!!!!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Thanks Kayle!

4. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on April 7, 2014 at 8:03 pm (#)

Congratulations, Katie and hubby! It seems like yesterday when you announced your pregnancy. Your little man is adorable! And, I love the name you chose for him. Thank you for sharing! xo

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Awe thanks Stacy. It’s funny I feel like the time flew by but yet stood still. A total catch 22. We kept the name a secret our entire pregnancy… everyone was dieing to know the name. Thanks again for the well wishes! 🙂

5. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough posted on April 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm (#)

Congratulations, Katie! He is beautiful.

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thanks!

6. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted on April 7, 2014 at 9:02 pm (#)

Ryder is absolutely precious and so adorable. I’m so happy that everyone is doing well and trying to adjust to new schedule.

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:48 am

Thanks Meagan… me too. It’s been a rough pregnancy and I’m so glad he’s healthy! 🙂 Now… on to this schedule thing. lol.

7. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on April 7, 2014 at 9:36 pm (#)

Congratulations, Katie! He is absolutely perfect!!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks Anna… I would agree, but then again I’m bias!

8. Cassie posted on April 7, 2014 at 9:50 pm (#)

Congrats, Katie! He is wonderful!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks Cassie!

9. Becca from It's Yummi! posted on April 8, 2014 at 9:36 am (#)

He’s just SO handsome, Katie! Congratulations!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks Becca!

10. Rachel Cooks posted on April 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm (#)

I just want to kiss his sweet little cheeks. So happy for you!!!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:42 am

Thanks Rachel! I’ll kiss him for you! 🙂

11. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on April 8, 2014 at 5:10 pm (#)

Congrats! He is adorable! So glad that you all are doing well!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thanks Jessica!

12. Krystal posted on April 8, 2014 at 5:21 pm (#)

Congrats Katie!! What a handsome little guy you have and keep enjoying this crazy thing called parenthood. You will fall in love with your husband all over again and be amazed by your sweet child. It’s awesome.

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thank you! I definitely have fallen in love with my hubby all over again–he has been an amazing support person and is turning out to be an amazing father!

13. Dalila G. posted on April 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm (#)

What a cutie-patootie!
    Congrats to you and hubby!!

• Katie replied on April 10th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Thank you!

14. Bonnie posted on April 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm (#)

Congrats to you and your husband on the birth of Ryder. My niece had her first baby on 3/20 and her arrival was also 3 days late. My great niece Greta lives in Denver, can’t wait to meet her. Because Ryder and Greta “have this 3 day” thing going on maybe they should get together! Do you think Ryder likes older women? LOL!!!!!

Hope all of you enjoy this special time.

• Katie replied on April 10th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

ha ha I love it!

15. Maria | Pink Patisserie posted on April 9, 2014 at 9:49 am (#)

Congratulations!!

• Katie replied on April 10th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

thank you!

16. Rebecca {foodie with family} posted on April 11, 2014 at 11:17 am (#)

Congratulations, Katie! You did great… and while I know it’s not going to help to hear me say it, don’t beat yourself up for doing what you thought was right at the time! C-sections may not be any of our ideal methods of delivery (says a woman who has had 3) but a healthy baby and mama are the only important things. Welcome to the world, Ryder!

17. Liren posted on April 14, 2014 at 3:42 pm (#)

Welcome, Ryder! Congratulations, Katie, he is absolutely precious! I hope you are doing well, and enjoying this special time!!

• Katie replied on April 15th, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Liren!

18. Jen posted on April 17, 2014 at 11:23 am (#)

Aw! He’s so adorable!! Congratulations!

1. Pingback: Dark Chocolate and Pecan Cookies - Rachel Cooks