Summer Basil Pesto Mezzaluna Soup
I love soup. If you’ve been reading Katie’s Cucina for the past 4.5 years you should know this already. I use to make a pot of soup every single week. I would portion off the soup on a Sunday afternoon and have it with my lunch during the work week. Just in the past few week’s I’ve started making a big pot of soup each week. I’m finding that it’s an almost guaranteed way I’ll get to eat lunch with baby in tote.
I am all for quick and easy, and this soup came about because I was hungry after an intense workout at baby boot camp. I just started grabbing food from my pantry and refrigerator. I love a good tortellini soup and as soon as I started scouring my pantry I knew I would use the box of mezzaluna I purchased from World Market a few months back. I’ve made this soup two more times since my original creation. If I can make this soup with a then 3.5 month old bright-eyed and cooing at my feet so can you! I figured I would share a cute photo I snapped of Ryder while I was photographing this soup. He recently started sitting in his Bumbo chair. I think he likes it for the most part and it’s helping him to get the hang of sitting on his own. Of course heavily assisted.
Katie Original Recipe
- 48 oz Chicken Stock
- 5 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Zucchini, Julianne(about 1 cup)
- 2 cups Mezzaluna w/ Basil Pesto Filling
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dill, minced
- 1 tsp parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- In a large stock pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Then add in the fresh spinach, lemon juice, julianned zucchini, mezzaluna, and black pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes (on medium-high)until the mezzaluna is al dente. Then add in the fresh dill, parsley, and green onions, simmer on low for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74