Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

brown bag microwave popcorn

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a very happy new year. I’ve taken the last week off to enjoy time with family, recipe develop, and just get myself ready for the new year. I never really make “resolutions” mainly just yearly goals. I’m happy to say that “loosing weight and getting in shape” really aren’t on my goal list this year. I’ve been doing a good job of getting myself in shape ever since giving birth last spring. In fact, I’m below my pre-pregancy weight. I haven’t been this skinny in gosh… I have no idea how long. It’s an amazing feeling. I still have six pounds to loose. My overall goal is to be back to wedding weight by June. I know I can do it. I also want to really tone my body this year. Now that I’ve lost the weight its time to make it look like I’ve lost it! Another goal of mine this year is to eat cleaner than I have in past years. Ever since watching GMO OMG! I’m all for cleaner eating–really reading packaging and making conscious choices about the food that I’m putting into my body.

brown bag microwave popcorn 1
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn. I love popcorn and could snack on it 24-7. However, in the recent years I’ve tried to stay away from microwaved processed popcorn. Tons of additive ingredients that I can’t pronounce needless to say that I have no clue what they are. Using this recipe for brown bag microwave popcorn is a great way to cut out the packaged snacks and make your own popcorn in minutes still using the microwave.

brown bag microwave popcorn 2

I recently was sent a copy of my friend Ashton’s book, Party Popcorn: 75 Creative Recipes for Everyone’s Favorite Snack. She is the author of the food blog, Something Swanky. Have you been to her blog before??? It’s amazing and all the recipes she shares look oh-so tasty. I’ve read Party Popcorn cover-to-cover and can’t wait to “pop” my way through the book… all 75 recipes. Maybe I should add this to my goals for 2015… try all 75 recipes! Ashton has your popcorn cravings covered from sweet, savory, holiday popcorn, and popcorn for kids to make you’ll find a recipe or two, or three that you’ll want to instantly make! She even has a whole chapter on “pop and shake” recipes. So you could make this brown paper bag popcorn and shake on some seasoning (I’ll have a few of my own creations later this month to share).

brown bag microwave popcorn 4

If you want more recipes from Party Popcorn you can buy the book on Amazon or come back later this week and I’ll be giving away a copy to one lucky reader!

Print Recipe

Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

Learn how easy it is to make your own Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn at home with no mystery chemicals to worry about!

Yield: 3 cups

Cook Time: 2.5 - 3 minutes

Ingredients:

• Brown Paper Bag
  • 3 tablespoons popcorn kernels
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened or melted
  • Pinch of Salt

Directions:

1. Place the kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over three times.
  2. Place the bag in the microwave standing upright. Microwave on medium power for 2.5-3 minutes, until the popping slows to a pop every 3 seconds.
  3. Open the bag (see Note) and add the butter and salt. Refold the top of the bag and shake the bag to coat the popcorn. Eat immediately.

Be careful of the steam escaping the bag when you first open it.

Disclaimer: I received a book to review and share a recipe with my readers. I was not compensated to write this post. There are affiliate links in this post. As always all opinions are my own.

14 Responses to “Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn”

1. Angie | Big Bear's Wife posted on January 6, 2015 at 4:12 pm (#)

My husband would probably eat popcorn every single day if he could. He normally goes for the bagged stuff because he’s lazy haha but I love this method!

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Angie–make him popcorn this way and he will eventually get use to it! And then you can feel good about him eating popcorn 24-7! 😉

2. Melisa posted on January 6, 2015 at 7:46 pm (#)

Do you use like a regular lunch size bag?

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Hi Melisa, yes a regular lunch bag size brown paper bag and 2 tablespoons of kernels. That’s it! It’s so easy. Every microwave varies so just listen for when it’s slowing down on the popping!

3. Ashton posted on January 6, 2015 at 9:28 pm (#)

I’m so glad you shared this one!!! Everyone needs to know how to do this– it’s so easy and so much better! Thanks for the post, I think you are so awesome 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Ashton–this is a genius way to pop popcorn! Congrats again on the cookbook!

4. Kelly of Simply Kelly Designs posted on January 6, 2015 at 9:35 pm (#)

This looks so easy Katie! I am going to try it!

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Kelly–ever since I’ve tried the recipe I’ve been hooked!

5. Aggie posted on January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am (#)

Katie – great job on the weight loss!! It is a great feeling (literally) when you get to a good comfortable weight. I was there right before Thanksgiving, but then I got sick and holidays and you know the drill 😉 I’m really going to focus on strength training too this year. It’s not something I am good about. I can walk with Micah in a stroller for hours…but it’s time to do some push ups and squats.
    I LOVE POPCORN. I could eat it all day every day. I’ve never made it like this, great recipe! Will have to look for that book!

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Aggie! I wish you lived closer and you could join me at baby bootcamp. You would love it–its a great challenge and a nice group of mom’s to encourage each other! Once you make popcorn this way you will never make it any other way again!

6. Carol at Wild Goose Tea posted on January 7, 2015 at 7:10 pm (#)

I love popcorn too. I find it a cheap and easy and low calorie way to have when I have the munchies.

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Yes! All for the low calorie crunch!

7. Mirlandra @ Mirlandra's Kitchen posted on January 9, 2015 at 4:50 pm (#)

Congrats on achieving your goals! This looks really good. I had heard of doing this before but never tried it. I’m a popcorn nut but sometimes I just don’t want to fuss with the whirlypop. I will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing.

• Katie replied on January 9th, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Mirlandra! Yes– definitely give this a try!!!