Pesto Pasta with Rock Shrimp
Looking for a quick summertime dinner? Try my easy recipe for Pesto Pasta with Rock Shrimp by making fresh basil pesto mixed with pasta and rock shrimp.
Looking for a quick weeknight meal? I made this recipe last month after I was trying to use up a ton of fresh basil I had recently grown. I made a large batch of my fresh basil pesto and I had asked my husband to pick up shrimp at the store on his way home from work. When he arrived home I was so excited to see he picked up rock shrimp! If you’ve never had rock shrimp you are seriously in for a treat. I knew I was going to make a Pesto Pasta with Rock Shrimp.
So you might wonder what is different about rock shrimp verse traditional shrimp. They are sweet little shrimp that almost mimic the same flavor as lobster! So think of a lobster tasting shrimp. They are divine and only offered for a few months between May-September here in Florida. But peak season is really the first two months. You can also find rock shrimp along some parts of the east coast plus the Gulf Coast, Cuba, and Bahamas too!
So let’s talk about how easy it is to make my recipe for Pesto Pasta with Rock Shrimp. You will need two pots for this recipe. One for the pasta and veggies and one for the shrimp. You’ll cook the pasta according to package then during the last 5 minutes of cooking add in the broccoli and green peas. Before you drain the pasta and veggies make sure you reserve a little bit of the pasta water. Oh and if your freshly making pesto… make it while the pasta cooks. It’s super simple. I’ve even created a video for it here. While the past cooks (and before you make your pesto you’ll want to melt butter in the additional sauce pan. Add the garlic and let it cook until it begins to turn golden. Add in the rock shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Set to the side once pink in color. Then place half the pesto and a little of pasta water back in the big pasta pot. Mix together then dump in the pasta and veggies. Mix well and add in the remaining pesto. Mix well and divide evenly among plates. Top each plate with the garlic butter rock shrimp and some additional basil and freshly grated cheese. Dinner is ready in under a half hour with minimal mess in the kitchen!
Pesto Pasta with Rock Shrimp
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. penne pasta
1 lb. broccoli florettes1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basil pesto
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 2-tablespoons salt to the water. Add the pasta in. Set timer for 10 minutes. At 5 minute mark mix in the broccoli and green peas.
- While pasta cooks preheat a skillet with olive oil, butter, and garlic. Heat on medium until butter melts and garlic begins to turn golden. Add in the rock shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Set to the side once pink in color.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and strain the rest in a commander. Place part of the pesto in the pasta pot with half the pasta water. Then add in the pasta and vegetables. Mix well and add in the remaining pesto and pasta water.
- Divide pasta among plates and top with shrimp. Add extra Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy immediately!
Katie Original Recipe