I’m a big fan of skewers on the grill. Or kabobs if you prefer to call them that. They are (in my mind) perfect for entertaining. You can put together a head of time and then throw them on the grill once your guest arrive. I’ve found that when I entertain with skewers my guest think its something fancy–I guess skewers could be fancy? I’ve made these Asian Beef Skewers a few times now both for my husband and I and while entertaining. Each time, I’ve found that we have none left. Back in January, we had our good friends over for dinner. We typically go out to eat with them every other week. But this time I suggested everyone come over for dinner and I would cook. I made my Baked Vegetarian Southwestern Egg Rolls with Avocado Buttermilk Sauce to start with. While everyone was eating I prepped all the veggies and meat. Then I put all of our friends to work. We had a “skewer” party. Some made it a race and others were oh-so gentle with every piece of vegetable and meat. I’m one of them that made it a race–I wanted to get on with the “par-tay”. I made these Asian Beef Skewers, a grilled chicken skewer and my shrimp boil kabobs. We had so many skewers on the grill that we had to cook in two batches. Mind you we probably had 40 skewers for like 6 people. I recognize I tend to go a bit over board when making skewers, because I want to ensure that everyone has enough food.
All of our friends (including us) were fighting over the Asian Beef Skewers. I love adding ingredients to skewers that are not the norm, like these snap peas! Who would have ever thought to grill snap peas? They actually grill beautifully and of course take the skewers up a notch. I like to use the Gourmet Garden herb paste. They keep well in the refrigerator and pack a big punch of flavor! I also have found that the skewers are much more appealing to the eye with a few sesame seeds sprinkled on top. So if you want to make kabobs… give my recipe for Asian Beef Skewers a try!
Check out my other skewer recipes: Simple Chicken Sausage Skewers, Shrimp Boil Kabobs, Roasted Mango Chipotle Grilled Shrimp Skewers, Grilled Chicken Fajita Kabobs, Fruit Kabobs, Sesame Chicken Skewers, and Tomato Mozzarella Skewers
Katie Original Recipe
- 1/4 cup Hoison Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Grass Paste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 lb. London Broil trimmed to 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb snap peas
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 container of portobello mushrooms
- Sesame Seeds for topping
- In a bowl, mix together hoison sauce, soy sauce, ginger paste, lemon grass paste, garlic paste, and sesame oil. Once well incorporated add the half pound of London broil pieces to the bowl. Mix well and let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. *Soak skewers in water while the meat marinates in the sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Remove skewers from water, and remove the meat from the refrigerator. Rinse and prep all the vegetables. Begin skewering meat and veggies on to skewers, alternating as you'd like.
- Place skewers on grill for 10 minutes, turning once. *Ensure the meat is cooked to your desire then plate on a bed of rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Celebrate Sweet Vidalia Flavors of Summer with the great tastes of fresh Vidalia Onions, Avocados from Mexico, Gourmet Garden Herbs, Johnsonville Italian Sausage, mangos, watermelon and Stemilt Cherries. Great food and good friends make everyday a party to remember so start entertaining and visit www.flavors-of-summer.com for recipes, coupons and entertaining tips.
Don’t forget to enter the Flavors of Summer Giveaway.