Once again here is another great recipe adapted from the amazing Rachael Ray! This is a great twist on mashed potato, and a great way to incorporate veggies! I use red potatoes and keep the skins on to give a little extra nutrients! The longer you cook the broccoli the less recognizable it is in the mashed potatoes. I like to cook it until it’s al dente, that way I can still taste chunks of broccoli in my potatoes!
Broccoli and Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 4-5 red potatoes
- 1 tsp salt for water
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 cup milk I use half and half
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1-1.5 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- Salt and black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into equal pieces and add to a large pot. Add a couple extra inches of water to the pot, so when you add the broccoli everything will be covered. Add a teaspoon of salt; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking trim and chop broccoli into 1/2-inch pieces (stalk and all).
- Add the broccoli to the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more. Drain and return to the hot pot to dry.
- Stir in the milk, butter and cheese and mash until the cheese melts into potatoes and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.