This is so easy to make and super delicious! What’s great about this recipe is that you can customize each of the calzones, so that everyone has something that they enjoy! This is a great alternative to ordering out pizza!
- 1 dough found in the bakery section at your local supermarket
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bell peppers thinly sliced, red and green
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup ground hot sausage 2 links, casing removed
- 1/4 cup pepperoni sliced
- 3 tbsp olives sliced
- 3 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Take the store bought dough out of the fridge, place in a bowl and let it rest for 1 hour. While the dough is resting start prepping all your veggies, and cook the sausage (remove sausage from casing, break up in pan, until cooked all the way through).
- After dough has rested and expanded, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. On a clean counter top lightly flour, and place dough on floured counter top. Roll dough around until all the dough has some flour on it.
- Lightly dust your rolling pin with flour, and make sure to always have a little bit of flour on your work surface. Once all of this is done start rolling out your dough. The shape doesn't really matter since you are going to want to cut out 3-4 pieces of dough in the end to fill.
- Once you've rolled out the dough, cut equal pieces. Take a little more flour, and pat the dough with the flour. On one side of the dough start layering all your veggies, then meat, and cheese (1 tbsp each of Parmesan and ricotta, 1/2 -3/4 cup of mozzarella, and a tsp of Italian seasoning). Rub olive oil around the edge of the dough. Fold over, and press firmly to close. I used a fork to seal the ends together.
- Carefully pick up the stuffed calzone and place it on a greased baking sheet. Once on the baking sheet take a knife and carefully cut a few slits on the top of the dough (if your making customized calzones I recommend telling everyone there number--which will represent how many slits are on the top of the calzone). Repeat until all of your calzones are stuffed, sealed, and on the baking sheet. Before placing the calzones in the oven brush olive oil on top of each calzone.
- Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. At this time make or warm-up marinara sauce, and prep your side dishes. Once the calzones are done, plate them and serve. Remind everyone that these will be piping hot since they just came out of the oven--it's best to cut it in half before you serve them so that they can start the cooling process! Enjoy!