The other day, we kicked off our virtual picnic week in conjunction with The Flavors of Summer. Summer is my favorite time to cook and entertain. Over the past few years I’ve really embraced grilling. I use to think it was a “man’s job” to grill. Puhhh… what was I thinking? I was always intimidated and just couldn’t get my food to cook right. Then one day I decided I was going to tackle and overcome my fears of the grill… now I would like to think I’m the grill master!
This recipe for my Simple Chicken Sausage Skewers is a perfect beginner grilling recipe. Skewers in general are very easy to do on the grill. I chose to use Johnsonville® Chicken Sausage Chipotle Monterey Jack Cheese links. They are full of flavor and have little pockets of cheese that ooze out of them. Not ooze out like make a mess all over the grill but tiny little cheese bubbles! They are great have 50% less fat than pork smoked sausage! I played on the idea of sausage and pepper skewers similar to my Grilled Italian Sausage w/ Grilled Sweet Peppers recipe that I love to make. Since this has a smoky chipotle flavor I paired it with a spanish rice and jazzed up a bag salad by adding chili powder to the Caesar dressing and lots of fresh vegetables. It was a perfect summer time meal! Just light enough to partake in dessert afterwards.
Katie Original Recipe
Chicken Sausage and Bell Pepper SkewersPrint Pin Rate
- 1 package of Johnsonville Chicken Sausage Chipotle Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 Poblano Pepper cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 Onion cut in 1-inch chunks
- Preheat grill to medium heat. While grill is preheating cut chicken sausage in 1-inch pieces. Begin skewering peppers, onions, and chicken sausage.
- Grill on medium heat for 10 minutes (turning half way through). Remove from grill and enjoy.