Day 2 of using up Turkey leftovers. Today, we are going for more of a classic approach with a twist. I was dreaming up a spicy Mexican style soup and decided to makes my dreams come true. This Chipotle Turkey and Black Bean Soup will have you yearning for more. As always, its chocked full of vegetables, because that is how I roll.
I pretty much used vegetables that I had on hand. So don’t freak out if you’re missing one of the veggies I listed for the recipe. Feel free to substitute if needed. That is the wonderful thing about cooking. You can always change up a recipe to meet your needs. This soup is also gluten free since I didn’t stuff my bird full of gluten stuffing and all the seasonings I used are gluten free. So, your gluten free cousin, can eat this too! The longer the soup simmers the better it tastes.
Katie Original Recipe
- 10 cups water
- Turkey breast carcas
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1.5 lb sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup butternut squash diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cans black beans not drained
- 1 chipotle in adobo seeded and chopped + 1 tbsp sauce
- Optional: Top with Queso Fresco and additional cilantro
- In a large stock pot place turkey breast carcas (or turkey carcas) in the pot and fill with 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil on high and then reduce down to medium heat. Cook for 45 minutes. At this point the meat should fall off the bones. Carefully scoop the carcas out of the pot and disgard any bones. Pull remaining turkey meat off carcas and put to the side.
- Once you've skimmed the pot completely to ensure no bones are present add celery, sweet potato, onion, cilantro, butternut squash, bell pepper, turkey, black beans, and chipotle in adobo sauce. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Ladle soup into bowls and top with queso fresco and additional chopped cilantro.