Who loves a good creamy comforting pot of risotto? I do! When McCormick Gourmet reached out to me to take part in their Go 4 Gourmet challenge. It’s kind of like the tv show chopped. I was given 4 challenge ingredients to make the recipe. I could use as much or as little of any other ingredients that I wanted too, as long as I incorporated the 4 challenge ingredients into my recipe. The challenge ingredients: Arborio Rice, Beets, McCormick Gourmet Crushed Rosemary, and Balsamic Vinegar. This is how the recipe for Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Beet Greens was created!
As much as I love beets, I love the beet greens even more so. And since one of the challenge ingredients was beets I figured why not go the non-traditional route and cook with the greens. The greens compliment the balsamic vinegar and the creaminess of the risotto brings it all together. Not to mention the aromatic, distinctive piney flavor the rosemary gives off. So whether you are looking for a simple main dish for one or a side dish for two–this is the recipe for you to try!
Katie Original Recipe
Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Beet Greens
- 1 Stove Top
- 1 Large 5 Gallon Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Beet greens from 3 beets, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup Arborio rice
- 1-½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large pot, on medium-high heat add olive oil, diced onion, and garlic. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Then add beet greens, mix well, and sauté for 5 minutes until wilted. Remove from the skillet and place in a bowl (set to the side).
- Add butter to the same pot and let it melt. Then add the arborio rice to the pot. Let it toast for 1 minute, mixing well. Add ¼ cup of the chicken broth, mix well until all the broth has evaporated, then add another ¼ cup. Repeat until all the broth is used, evaporated, and rice is almost cooked.
- Add the crushed rosemary, black pepper, and heavy cream. Mix well until cream is almost evaporated then mix in grated Parmesan. Plate the risotto and nestle the beet greens on top. Drizzle a half tablespoon of balsamic vinegar over the greens. Enjoy.
- Beet Greens - If you can not find beet greens you can use spinach instead.
- Side Dish - This recipe is meant to be a side dish for two people. Double to make this as a side dish for 4.