In an effort to try to eat a smidge healthier I started browsing around some blogs, and found a great blog; Skinny Taste! Its basically a blog of all weight watchers recipe. I remember my mom making this version of eggplant parmesan for us a while back and we all loved it, so I figured I would give it a try. My husband LOVES all things “parmesan” and I was a little hesitant about serving this “healthier” non-fried version to him, but he LOVED it! So this is a winner and probably the only way I’ll be cooking this dish for now on! Best part is that it’s only 265 calories a serving (6ww points), and if you serve it with some whole wheat pasta for the rest of the family it’s plenty filling! *I’ll note that I didn’t have the full amount of ingredients so I scaled down the recipe (this is not the scaled down version of the recipe).
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz fat free ricotta
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon Pecorino Romano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
- 3 cups homemade sauce
1. Start by making the sauce if you don’t have any already made. While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into ¼ inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put in a colander to release excess moisture for about ½ hour. Lay on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.
2. Preheat oven to 450°. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.
3. In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and ¼ cup of grated cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!