This Malaysian Chicken Curry is out of this world. If your not familiar with Malaysian cuisine they like to combine complex flavors like curry, turmeric, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger and tamarind, to name a few, to create dishes that have multiple layers of flavors.
I love curry! It’s definitely something that I have learned to love over the years. To be exact I didn’t start eating curry until I started working at my first corporate job. Everyone at the office loved curry and introduced me in to the wonderful world of curry (that was almost 10 years ago). Since then I’ve been experimenting with different types of curry, and came up with this recipe for Malaysian Chicken Curry.
Table of contents
- Malaysian Traditional Curry Laksa Paste
- crinkle cut carrot coins
- red bell pepper
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- skinless boneless chicken breast
- unsweetened coconut milk
- fresh basil and cilantro
I started by using a 7 oz package of Malaysian Traditional Curry Laksa Paste. I let the paste toast in a large skillet for a minute then I added in the vegetables and a little bit of water. I let it cook for 5 minutes and then it was time to add in the chicken, potatoes, and coconut milk (along with more water). I mixed it really well and placed a lid on my skillet and let the curry cook for 20 minutes.
Once the potatoes were done I added in some fresh herbs one more mix and then it was time to spoon the curry over hot basmati rice. While the curry cook’s you’ll want to make the rice. I also made a simple salad that consisted of lettuce, shredded carrots, and cucumber and served it with an orange ginger dressing. The salad was refreshing and helped cool off our mouths from the heat of the curry. This curry is on the medium to hot side.
We typically like our curry on the mild to medium side. So this is definitely hot but so incredibly worth it! And the fresh herbs really help bring out the flavors!
If you love curry you’ll love all these other curry recipes I have on Katie’s Cucina!
If you make this chicken curry recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Don’t forget to FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, and subscribe to my email list!
Malaysian Chicken Curry
- 7 oz Malaysian Traditional Curry Laksa Paste
- 1 cup crinkle cut carrot coins
- 1 medium onion sliced in 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces lengthwise
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 13.5- oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-½ cups water divided
- Chopped fresh basil and cilantro for garnish
- Heat curry paste in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, onion, red bell pepper, and ½ cup of water. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add potatoes, chicken, coconut milk, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle chopped fresh basil and cilantro over the curry and divide evenly among bowls.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious
I don’t think I’ve ever had Malaysian food, but I love all of the flavors in this and it looks incredible!
Me either–although I really want to go and visit!!! This curry is AWESOME!
Colleen (Souffle Bombay)
I have yet to try a curry or any sort! I need to get on that quick!
My husband was like that for years… give it a try!
My husband is always pushing me to go the Malaysian restaurants near us but I never go because I don’t eat curry but yours looks wonderful! I love the color and I think perhaps, you could change my mind here!
Give it a try… my husband isn’t a fan of curry but he loved this one because its full of flavor!
This is comfort food all the way! Looks delicious!
Yes it is!
The Food Hunter
I have never made curry but I would love to try this
I love curry! This sounds perfect!
mmm, this looks so good! I learned curry from a coworker too! I love all the vegetables you added, it’s so healthy and flavorful!
Paula - bell'alimento
Oh Katie this is the perfect I’m snowed in meal! Would love to dig into that chicken curry.