This One Pot Tomato Asparagus and Prosciutto Pasta is sure to be a new family favorite.
I always love to clean out the refrigerator just before we are about to leave for vacation. That is exactly how this one pot tomato asparagus and prosciutto pasta came about. I didn’t have any meat defrosted from the freezer and I knew I wanted to make something simple and from the ingredients I had on hand. No need to go grocery shopping just 2 days out from vacation. I had 5 slices of prosciutto leftover and decided I would add that to whatever one-pot pasta I made for dinner. At first I was tempted to make a creamy pasta, but I know that my husband doesn’t typically like Alfredo sauces. So a tomato based sauce it was.
First up, I diced the prosciutto into bite-size pieces. Then I fried it so that it was nice and crispy. I removed the prosciutto from the pan and then poured a big 28 oz can of petetit diced tomatoes and then added another 2 cups of water. I wanted to make sure there was enough “sauce”. Mixed that with some spices and brought it to a boil. While it was coming to a boil I sliced the asparagus. Then I added the asparagus, green peas, pasta and fresh basil to the pot. Gave it one big swirl placed a lid on the pot and let it cook for 12 minutes. Then once the noodles were just al dente I turned the burner off. I served my son’s portion first then I mixed in some red pepper flakes to kick it up a notch! I spooned the pasta into bowls sprinkled with a generous serving of crispy prosciutto, grated cheese, and more fresh basil.
Everyone enjoyed my one pot tomato asparagus and prosciutto pasta for dinner. Even better that we had just enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. This is one of my “smaller” one-pot meals. I served it with a capreese salad and my cheesy-artichoke bread!
One Pot Tomato Asparagus and Prosciutto Pasta
- 5 slices prosciutto cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 28 oz. Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp white granulated sugar
- 4 cups dried corkscrew pasta
- 10 asparagus spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Dice prosciutto. Heat large skillet and cook bite-size pieces of prosciutto until crispy (stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Remove prosciutto from skillet and place to the side.
- Reduce the heat on the skillet to medium. Pour the petite diced tomatoes, water, salt, Italian seasoning, and granulated sugar in the skillet. Mix well then add in the corkscrew pasta, asparagus spears, frozen green peas, and fresh basil leaves. Give one good mix, place lid on skillet, and bring the skillet to a boil. Reduce heat to medium once boiling and cook for 12-15 minutes until pasta is cooked and al dente.
- Divide pasta evenly among bowls and top with bite-size prosciutto pieces, freshly grated parmesan cheese and additional chopped fresh basil.