It’s the day before Christmas and you get an unexpected gift… what do you do? Make these Peppermint Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats! Or if your like me and have been too busy to think about the neighbors you whip up a batch or two of these treats and pass them out! I always have cellophane bags on hand. Place a couple krispie treats in the bag and adorn with a few candy canes and you’ve got yourself a beautiful handmade gift that anyone will enjoy receiving!
These are different from my Mint Chocolate Chip Rice Krispies Treats because I use chocolate rice krispies. I also don’t die them with green dye OR add mint extract. The mint flavoring comes from the marshmallows and I can attest as well as a few other food bloggers who had the privilege of trying these that they don’t have a strong peppermint flavor to them! That’s why I decided to kick them up a notch by adding a layer of chocolate and some smashed peppermint candy canes!
Katie Original Recipe
Peppermint Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 Stove Top
- 1 Sauce Pot
- 1 Glass Baking Dish
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces Jet-Puffed Peppermint Marshmallows
- 6 cups Chocolate Rice Krispies
- PAM cooking spray
- 12 ounces Wilton Candy Melts red/vanilla flavor
- 12 candy canes chopped
- In a large saucepan melt the butter. Once the butter is melted remove the saucepan from heat and add in marshmallows. Mix until melted.
- Then add the six cups of chocolate Rice Krispies to the pot. Stir until well incorporated.
- Spray a 9×12 pan with PAM cooking spray and begin spreading the Rice Krisipie treats out on the pan. Let cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into equal squares.
- In a heat resistant bowl melt the candy melts in the microwave (in 30 second increments) until melted. While the chocolate is melting crush candy canes in a zip lock baggie and place to the side.
- Have a baking sheet with parchment paper (or SILPAT) ready. Begin dipping each Rice Krispie treat in the melted white chocolate *half way. Place each chocolate dipped treat on the baking sheet and sprinkle with peppermint. Repeat until you have done this with all the Rice Krispie treats.
- Let the chocolate harden in the refrigerator until chocolate is firm (about 15 minutes).
- Rice Krispies - If you cannot find or prefer plain Rice Krispies use those instead.
- Peppermint - If you cannot find the peppermint marshmallows you can use regular marshmallows and just add in ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract.