I saw this recipe for Pierogi Lasagna on the blog Tasty Family Creations, and I instantly knew I had to recreate this dish! I did not have any square or rectangular plans available, so I was forced to use a round baking dish. Next time I will definitely use a square dish, so that the insides will cook evenly. I went a little heavy on the potato filling as well… next time I’ll lessen that too!
- 1 stick butter divided
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 8 sheets Box of Oven-Ready Lasagne Noodles
- 4 cups Cooked Mashed Potatoes I use white
- 1 package Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 onion sliced in rings
- 1 pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt two tablespoons butter in a 9x9 glass baking dish.
- Chop potatoes into small 1 inch cubes, place in pot of cold water (enough to cover), and allow to come to a boil. Continue boil until potatoes are soft enough to yield to a fork stab.
- While the potatoes are cooking add a tablespoon of butter to a small frying pan and add the 1/4 cup of diced onions. Saute until translucent.
- Drain, mash, blend with a mixer. Add a quarter stick of butter, 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar, and enough milk to mix (I'm guessing with the 1/4 cup). Add salt to taste. Once well blended add in the diced onions, and package of farmer cheese. Mix until well blended.
- Melt the remaining butter over medium-high heat, then saute the sliced onions until their translucent.
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with some of the onion-butter. Lay noodles on the bottom of the dish, then spread the potatoes, a dollop at a time, along the length of each noodle. Once done, smooth the potatoes, then spread about a quarter of the onion on top, and drizzle a small amount of butter as well. Repeat this twice (or more if your dish can accommodate), then top with noodles and the remainder of the onions and butter.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes. 5 minutes before you need to remove from the oven sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese on top. Make sure the middle is cooked all the way through before sprinkling cheese!