As you can tell by now–I LOVE SOUP! I make at least a pot or two of homemade soup each week! I am also a big fan of Rachael Ray’s, and love to try her recipes! This recipe for Potato, Spinach, and Tomato Soup is super easy and delish! This makes for a good side in a boring lunchbox!
Potato, Spinach, and Tomato Soup
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh triple washed spinach stems picked and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg grated or ground
- salt and pepper
- 1 can chunky-style crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes in puree
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano
- In a deep pot, saute garlic and onion in oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth and bring liquid to a boil.
- As you slice potatoes, add them carefully to the broth. Cook potatoes 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The potatoes will begin to break up and thicken broth as the soup cooks.
- Stir in spinach in bunches as it wilts into soup. Season soup with nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to your taste.
- Stir in tomatoes and heat through, 1 or 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese on top of your soup.