I love Italian wedding soup… growing up I looked forward to attending weddings on my dad’s side (they are all Italian), just so I could have this delicacy. When it was time for me to plan the menu for my wedding a few years ago my must have item was Italian Wedding Soup. Even though I was getting married on the first day of summer in June I had to have this soup.
For the past few years now I’ve been experimenting with recipes… none ever met my expectations. This quick and tasty version is about as close to meeting my expectation as possible when I’m in the mood for the soup. I’ll preface that my mom makes a much better version of this, but I’ve yet to master her recipe!
Serving Suggestions: crusty bread, sandwich, salad, make it as a starter before you serve an amazing Italian dinner
Italian Wedding Soup
- 20 meatballs mini
- ½ cup ditalini
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup diced carrots onions, and celery
- 2 containers chicken stock
- ½ spinach or escarole if you can find it in the store
- salt & pepper
- Dice the onions, carrots, and celery. Mince the garlic.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a soup pot, and then add the vegetables and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add the meatballs, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once soup is boiling (about 5-10 minutes) add the chopped spinach and ditilini noodles.
- Serve as soon as the noodles are cooked through!