Looking for a hearty stove-top soup that can be made in under an hour? Try this recipe for Sausage White Bean & Kale Soup for dinner tonight!
When life hands you stinky bad beef, you reach in your refrigerator for the next package of meat that is defrosted. In my case, it was a package of ground mild Italian sausage. I had bought it with the intentions of making a soup with kale, but hadn’t fully thought it out yet. I knew we needed dinner and quickly, since my original dinner plans fell through. So, this is how my Italian Sausage, White Bean & Kale Soup came about. I would like to call it a happy accident, but I know that it wasn’t since I had intended on using the bag of kale my mother in-law gave to me the weekend prior. I knew I wanted to make a hearty fall soup. That is exactly what this soup is. It’s perfect for a crisp fall night.
This recipe for Sausage White Bean & Kale Soup can be put together in a jiffy and makes for the perfect lunch the next day. You’ll start this recipe by browning the ground Italian sausage, breaking it up into bite size pieces. Next you’ll add in the onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. The staple soup base for just about any soup you make!
The key to using harder vegetables with a quick cooking time is chopping them in small bite-size pieces. The smaller the cut the quicker they will cook. I also like to “steam” the vegetables with the meat for a few minutes to help the quick cooking process and this yields a more tender vegetable to bite. I add in just about a cup of beef broth to the pot after the veggies have cooked with the sausage for a few minutes and then add in the kale. The key to cooking with kale in soup is to cut into small pieces and remove all the hard stems. The stems are bitter and will not cook down quick enough. I cook also “steam” the kale and then add in the rest of the broth, seasonings, diced tomatoes and macaroni noodles. I wanted a short cut noodle for this soup and macaroni was the only noodle I had on hand. So don’t fret if you don’t have macaroni’s on hand. You could also use ditalini pasta if that’s what you have on hand. If you have a gluten allergy—you can omit the pasta or use a gluten free pasta. Totally up to you!
During the last five minutes, while the soup simmers you’ll add the beans to the soup. I like to add them last since they are already cooked and generally soft and just need to be warmed through. I like to top each bowl of soup with a generous grating of Parmesan cheese. It’s a staple cheese in my home and should be in your home too! If your looking for a hearty fall soup, this recipe for quick and easy Sausage White Bean & Kale Soup is a winner in my home and will be in your home too! Don’t forget to serve it with crusty bread.
Italian Sausage, White Bean & Kale Soup
- 1 lb. Mild Italian Sausage Ground
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 6 cups kale shredded
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 32 oz. containers of beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 15.5 oz. can of Cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- Grated Parmesan for topping
- In a large stock pot, cook the Italian sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into bite size pieces. Once the sausage is halfway browned (about 5 minutes on medium heat) add in the onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. Cook with lid on, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Then add in 1 cup of beef broth and the shredded kale. Mix well and cook with lid on for an additional 5 minutes. Then add in the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and the rest of the beef broth. Bring to a boil and add in the diced tomatoes and elbow macaroni. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the pasta is al-dente add the rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Simmer for 5 additional minutes. Laddle soup into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.