I received products and payment from Genuine Thermos Brand as compensation for the post, and Genuine Thermos Brand did not influence any opinion of this product. All views and opinions expressed in the post are my own and no other compensation was provided.
In a lunch rut? Use fresh ingredients– spice it up and make this recipe for shredded chicken burrito bowls!
We love eating Mexican food in our house. I love making a large amount of food and then eating the leftovers the next day. My friends at Genuine Thermos® Brand asked me to spice up lunch and help my readers get out of the mundane lunch rut. I grew up using Thermos brand products from lunch boxes to a Thermos brand food jar that was filled with piping hot homemade soup. So when they approached me I knew this was the perfect fit! It immediately brought back fond school lunch memories! Sometimes I actually brainstorm recipe ideas with my husband. It’s nice to get someone else’s input. He was the one who gave me this idea. I often make shredded chicken burrito bowls for him for lunch the next day after taco night. It just makes sense to make a burrito bowl versus messy tacos.
My husbands number one complaint is that he either has too many containers or if I put everything all in one the cold items get hot and soggy. So he was stoked when we received two Genuine Thermos® Brand Dual Compartment Food Jars. This will simplify his lunch, and even better when he’s on the road and doesn’t have time to stop to heat up food, he doesn’t have to because its already warm for him. That’s kind of awesome if you ask me. Oh and each food jar comes equipped with a full-size, folding stainless steel spork that fits inside the lid eliminating the need to pack separate utensils. That’s another issue that my husband often faces. He forgets to pack utensils for his lunch. So I love that the spork folds into the container!
So let’s talk about the shredded chicken burrito bowls. If it’s just two of you–you can make them for dinner then reheat in the morning before work and layer your containers. Or you can make the shredded chicken burrito bowls specifically for lunch. I have instructions for both ways and you’ll find them below. For this recipe I used white rice; however, if you have a favorite Mexican rice blend or even prefer brown rice use what you like. I also used pinto beans–any beans will work. Or if you don’t like beans omit them all together. I like to add in the fajita veggies to the bowl. It reminds me of Chipotle which I love!! I love the flexibility of the shredded chicken burrito bowls the sky is the limit for toppings. Also I like to add a little baggy of sour cream to the cold portion of the container. Then after its constructed you can either spoon the sour cream on or cut the corner and drizzle it on. Either way if you are a lover of Mexican food I think you’ll love these shredded chicken burrito bowls.
Shredded Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1 14.5 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 cups multi-color bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice divided
- 1 cup pinto beans divided
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups lettuce divided
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 haas avocado divided
- In a medium-size sauce pan place, skinless boneless chicken breast in the pot. Fill halfway full with water. Bring water to a boil and cook with lid on for 25 minutes, until the chicken is fork tender.
- While the chicken poached heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the grape seed oil and the peppers and onions. Cook for 10 minutes until al dente. Season with salt and pepper and set to the side.
- Once the chicken is fork tender remove the chicken and shred using two forks in a bowl. Pour the water out of the pot and place the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning in the pot. Mix well and place the chicken in the sauce. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- While chicken cooks in the sauce reheat the rice and beans. Begin dividing the rice between the 4 bowls (or 4 Thermos Brand Dual Compartment Food Jars in the hot/stainless steel compartment). Next layer on the beans and fajita veggies. Next, divide the shredded chicken and top with cheese. Then add the shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, and slices of avocado. Enjoy immediately.