I love soup. If you’ve been reading Katie’s Cucina for the past 4.5 years you should know this already. I use to make a pot of soup every single week. I would portion off the soup on a Sunday afternoon and have it with my lunch during the work week. Just in the past few week’s I’ve started making a big pot of soup each week. I’m finding that it’s an almost guaranteed way I’ll get to eat lunch with baby in tote.
I am all for quick and easy, and this soup came about because I was hungry after an intense workout at baby boot camp. I just started grabbing food from my pantry and refrigerator. I love a good tortellini soup and as soon as I started scouring my pantry I knew I would use the box of mezzaluna I purchased from World Market a few months back. I’ve made this soup two more times since my original creation. If I can make this soup with a then 3.5 month old bright-eyed and cooing at my feet so can you! I figured I would share a cute photo I snapped of Ryder while I was photographing this soup. He recently started sitting in his Bumbo chair. I think he likes it for the most part and it’s helping him to get the hang of sitting on his own. Of course heavily assisted.
Katie Original Recipe
Summer Basil Pesto Mezzaluna Soup
- 48 oz Chicken Stock
- 5 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Zucchini Julianne(about 1 cup)
- 2 cups Mezzaluna w/ Basil Pesto Filling
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dill minced
- 1 tsp parsley minced
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced
- In a large stock pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Then add in the fresh spinach, lemon juice, julianned zucchini, mezzaluna, and black pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes (on medium-high)until the mezzaluna is al dente. Then add in the fresh dill, parsley, and green onions, simmer on low for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!