This is a sponsored post on behalf of Stonyfield Organics and Bob’s Red Mill. As always all opinions are my own!
The first day of fall is today! What better way to kick off the start of fall than by making a big pot of my vegetable red lentil soup with yogurt sauce. It’s a heart gluten free soup that’s also vegetarian! I’ve partnered up with two of my favorite brands; Bob’s Red Mill Red Lentils Organics and Bob’s Red Mill to create one savory pot of soup that everyone can enjoy as the weather begins to get cooler out. I love these two brands because they are both committed to making the best quality products for the consumers. There companies have the same core values and believe that food should not be genetically modified. That means no GMO’s will be found with these brands.
Let’s talk about vegetables for a minute. Many parents can probably relate, I’m constantly trying to get my son to eat vegetables. I find that he will eat them if they are in soups and stews. He loves them soft, slow cooked, and full of flavor. Because of this, I make a big pot of soup each week in an effort to get him to eat some vegetables. Since I know he loves lentils I knew that would be my main protein for the soup. Did you know that lentils pack 13 grams of protein per serving? That’s almost a steaks worth. And red lentils don’t take long at all to cook, just 15 minutes. No need to presoak just put them in the soup pot and let them cook right in with the vegetables.
I started my soup base with the traditional carrot, onion, and celery base and then added in parsnips, butternut squash, fresh tomato, mushroom and spinach. I used Bob’s Red Mill Red Lentils for protein. Like I mentioned above, the red lentils cook quickly which is exactly what I was looking for with this soup.
I topped the soup with a dollop of Stonyfield plain yogurt. It adds the perfect amount of creaminess to the soup. Did I mention that I cooked this soup in just 45 minutes? Yep I started the pot of soup a little before 11 and it was ready by lunch time. Both my son and myself devoured the vegetable red lentil soup with yogurt sauce. And it made a lot so we had lunch all week long!
Vegetable Red Lentil Soup w/ Yogurt Sauce
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 parsnips peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in water
- 2 32 oz. boxes of vegetable broth
- 1.5 lbs. butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Red Lentils
- ¼ cup mushrooms diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 cup spinach diced
- ½ cup Stonyfield Fat Free Plain Yogurt divided
- Peel the carrots and parsnips, dice and set to the side. Cut the celery and onion.
- Preheat a large dutch-oven on medium heat with the 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil. Place the carrots, parsnips, celery and onions in the dutch oven. Mix well so that the oil is coated on the vegetables. Add 1 cup of vegetable stock, place lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes. This will allow the vegetables to sweat.
- While the vegetables are sweating begin to peel the butternut squash. Add the butternut squash to the soup pot followed by the salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix well and then add in the remaining vegetable broth and the red lentils. Place the lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Mix periodically. Turn the burner off and add in the diced mushrooms, tomato, and spinach. Place the lid on the pot, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide soup evenly among bowls and top with a tablespoon of yogurt.